Guppy problems

I got my 75 gallon up and running in my new home in Arlington, TX. Even traveled over 500 miles with the Hurricane Katrina survivors (the fish 2 Zebra Danios and 3 that llok like minnows <--- inherited with the tank) and they are loving their new home as are my wife and I. Went to Petsmart and picked up a 4 guppies and two mating pair of swordtails.
The aquarium is cycled, good on all tested levels Nitrate a little up due to introducing a male Betta briefly. He is now out of the tank. I have had to bring two of the guppies back due to sudden deaths, but noticed today that one red guppy began turning white towards the end of his tail and seemingly his tail is withering away.
Did some research and came up with this:
Intestinal worms: These are nematodes, also called roundworms or threadworms. The most commonly seen in guppies is Camallanus, which can reach up to 2 cm in length. They are reddish-brown or orange, and can be seen protruding from the anus like a tiny paintbrush. These worms are occasionally seen in guppies that have been kept in ponds and fed live Cyclops (avoid feeding your fish this food). Cyclops can also be introduced with new live plants, so make sure to wash your new plants thoroughly before adding them to your tank. Other intestinal worms usually do not pose a threat in aquariums since they have a rather complicated life cycle, but Camallanus nematodes are capable of passing from one fish to another. It may be advisable to destroy the infected fish, unless it is a valuable breeder, and use an anthelmintic treatment on the tank. Such medication is hard on guppies, particularly pregnant females. You can try Jungle's Internal Parasite Guard, Pepso food, and Tetra's Anti-Parasite Medicated flakes. Garlic helps ward off these worms and many breeders add it to their dry food or beef heart recipe.

Has anyone else dealt with this and how should I treat them and the others in the tank. I will go by directions for now, but await to hear from MFTmates. Thanks!

It is too late for that guppy, he passed last night after I separated him into my hospital tank, he was almost completely white when I left him last night. I was going to go to the LFS to get a remedy and more info, but he has passed. I will watch the last guppy much more closely, but I think it may have just been a bad couple of fish due to how quickly they developed the illness and then died.
Thanks for the welcome back and the link!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
From your description, it sounds more like fin rot. How long has your tank been up at your new location? What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? Unless the betta died in the tank and sat there for a while, he wouldn't cause the nitrates to surge, so you may want to explore tha a bit more.

Seleya said:
From your description, it sounds more like fin rot. How long has your tank been up at your new location? What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? Unless the betta died in the tank and sat there for a while, he wouldn't cause the nitrates to surge, so you may want to explore tha a bit more.
I have had the tank transferred to my home in Arlington and running for two weeks. However it was running before I broke it down at my old apartment in New Orleans. I broke the tank down there, trucked it up to Arlington, offloaded it ran some fresh water, used aquarium salt and stress reducer to assist in cycling the tank. I kept the filters in their same condition from the old apartment so they would have a bacteria buildup in the filtration. I dropped in the survivors two days after setup. They were and still are healthy and loving their new home. I went to Petsmart and wanted to get a few additional tankmates, the 4 guppies and 4 swords were brought home. All the swords are fine, but 3 of the guppies have died 1-2 days between each death.
I think my survivors from New orleans are picking on the newbies, because I did see the guppies tails kind of torn and pecked at.
I have been testing the water with a strip kit, because my master test kit hasn't come in from bigalsonline yet. But the readings all look good from what I can tell. And the other fish are doing great. I have the list of fish below and all are fine.