Guppy Tank

Senroc

New Fish
Nov 13, 2008
Hi all,
I'm looking to start up a Guppy tank. Just a 10 gallon one to begin with. Something to put beside my computer to distract me...lol. I'm curious though what is a healthy number of fish to have eventually?

Mturner615

Large Fish
Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
Guppies will reproduce like crazy if you have the water correct. I once had just guppies in my 10 way back when I first got it, and I started with 2 females and 1 male, and a few months later I had within the 20s worth of guppies... So if you plan on having them breed, make sure you either have another tank to put them in, or a LFS that will buy them back from you.

Another good option is to just get all males and put them in the tank because a) they wont breed and b) theyre a lot prettier than the females.

as far as stocking goes, assuming you get all males, and you dont get any other tank mates, you could easily do about 6 guppies. however, you will most likely need a few bottom feeders such as some cory cats, and in that case id say go with about 4 guppies and 2-3 cats, and make sure you keep the water chemistry perfect because from my experience guppies are messy little buggers.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Guppies will reproduce like crazy if you have the water correct. I once had just guppies in my 10 way back when I first got it, and I started with 2 females and 1 male, and a few months later I had within the 20s worth of guppies... So if you plan on having them breed, make sure you either have another tank to put them in, or a LFS that will buy them back from you.

Another good option is to just get all males and put them in the tank because a) they wont breed and b) theyre a lot prettier than the females.

as far as stocking goes, assuming you get all males, and you dont get any other tank mates, you could easily do about 6 guppies. however, you will most likely need a few bottom feeders such as some cory cats, and in that case id say go with about 4 guppies and 2-3 cats, and make sure you keep the water chemistry perfect because from my experience guppies are messy little buggers.
Think that about covers it..I really dont think water params would keep them from not reproducing though, I think those darn guppies are born pregnant..lol.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
And, of course, one more point is that you will probably want to avoid adding all female guppies. The problem there is that they will be ~100% guaranteed to be pregnant when you bring them home from the store. So, even without males in your tank at the beginning, you will wind up with more!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You can do a lot of things in a 10 gallon tank. Make sure you read up on how to cycle the tank before you add fish though, dead fish are no fun. :) There's a link below in my signature that includes set up information and several stickies in the freshwater forum on cycling a tank that are helpful. :)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I have a 14g tank that is stocked primarily with guppies. At this time I might have 7 in there. I never have fry in there...at least any that avoid becoming betta snacks.

I'm about to move these to either the 29g or 55g tank and start over with a better looking guppy and perhaps start breeding them.