guppy white lip bump

Oct 3, 2007
I added 4 guppies to my 29 gallon tank 5 days ago. 2 males and 2 females. One female has been hiding in the back and not eating for 2 days now and last night I noticed a white bump on her lower lip. Today she has a long clear string hanging from her anus. Any idea on what this could be and how to treat her. All the other fish in the tank appear fine.

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
I don't know much about taking care of sick fish but in the mean time before someone more knowledgeable answers I think you should put her into a sick tank if you have one. I have herd its always good to quarentine your fish and treat them with medicines if you have to in smaller tanks. This sounds like a sick fish to me, not just one that has a little injury.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
First question...Is this tank cycled? If you don't know what cycling a tank means, please take a look at the link in my signature for a beginner's guide.

Second, if this fish is already sick in the tank with the others, it is likely whatever it has will have already spread to the other fish, so quarantine will not do much good. Take a look at the link in my signature, do a large water change, then report back here with the new information.