Guppy

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
I have recently purchased a fancy tailed guppy and 3ghost shrimp for my tank. They are the only "fish" in my tank right now, but I have a problem. The shrimp are doing great, running around eating, all that good stuff. The guppy on the other hand, will not eat. I have Nutrafin Max Complete Flake Food, and it is supposed to be for all tropical fish. I have tried feeding him in the mornings and at night, but he just sits in the middle or bottom region of the tank when I put the food in and watches it fall to the bottom of the tank...Please let me know if there is anything I should be doing, he hasn't eaten for two days now.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
IF you just bought them then the guppy is probably just still adjusting. Is he showing any signs of stress such as clamped fins or gasping or anyhting like that? How long has your tank been set up? I wouldn't worry that much about it quite yet, fish don't need to eat everyday. Just keep an eye on him. A little more info about your tank would help to rule other things out.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
So far no clamped fins or gasping, from what I have seen. My tank has been set up for about 2 weeks now. The temperature is about 74F, it has an aerator/bubble tube, ummm, I'm not sure if there is anything else you need to know, let me know if there is anything. Thank you so much.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Mabye try rasing the temp. My tank is at 80f and my guppies eat great. Always there begging for food with the rest of the fish when it's feeding time. Good luck.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Alright, I'll try to do that, any cheap suggestions...? With the cold weather, I have a thick towel around the back of the tank (it's by the window..only place to keep it, unfortunately), and has helped tremendously. We had a pretty big freeze last weekend, and I lost my original guppy. Another thing, I just got back from one of my classes, and found all 3 of my ghost shrimp dead :'(...they were alive and well when I left :( Could this be because of the temperature...? Thanks for the pointers.

EDIT: I got the temperature up to about 76....

Last edited:

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
No, ghost shrimp can actually withstand pretty low tempns. I meant to ask you earlier if you let your tank cycle first before adding these guys. Shrimp are really sensitive to ammonia and nitrates/nitrites in the water. How long did you let your tank cycle before adding the fish? How long has it been since you have done a water change? I chance to say that you have a build up of poisons from the waste in your water. I am certain that is what happened to the shrimp. Guppies aren't exactly the hardiest of fish when it comes to waste either.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
My tank is about a gallon. I had it running for two weeks before I added them in. I havent tested the water ph though....I'll try to make it to the petstore today to get a little kit or something. Will the cheapest on the market be ok or is there a certain brand or soemthing that I should get?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
WEll I can pretty much bet that your tank wasn't cycled when you added the fish and a 1 gallon tank is way too small for a guppy and 3 ghost shrimp. Also, I think guppies and shrimp require filtration for their water. They aren't labyrinth fish like Bettas and Gouramis are so they can't breathe atmospheric air they have to get their oxygen strictly through the water so I chance to say that the oxygen in there has run out. You need to do a water change as soon as possible and consider a larger tank with proper filtration and heating.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Urban Herbalist said:
Did you look really well for your shrimp? If you found 'bodies' then they may have molted. My shrimp hide up near my filter outlet.
Oh no, they were dead-dead. Sad times. But, I went had my water tested, and BINGO! That's the problem, my nitrites/nitrates (I cant remember which one it was..) were off the charts! So, I got set up with a filter, some water drops (not dechlor), did a 50% water change, got new food for my darling Tootsie - which he is EATING!!! - and now I'm on the way to recovery! Yay! I'll be able to add a little friend for Tootsie soon, emphasis on little *thumbsups I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
pigs_fly said:
Oh no, they were dead-dead. Sad times. But, I went had my water tested, and BINGO! That's the problem, my nitrites/nitrates (I cant remember which one it was..) were off the charts! So, I got set up with a filter, some water drops (not dechlor), did a 50% water change, got new food for my darling Tootsie - which he is EATING!!! - and now I'm on the way to recovery! Yay! I'll be able to add a little friend for Tootsie soon, emphasis on little *thumbsups I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!

glad tootsie is fine...
keep doing water changes...
and keep an eye on your water quality... :)

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Ok, it's been about 2 days since I was able to get my tank "re-started" in a sense. I took my water to be tested last night, and, while it is still a little high on its levels, it is half as bad as it was! Pretty exciting, eh?! Well, just wanted to give you the update! Thanks again for all your advice and help.