Ha ha! Messed up my plans!

Ashlea

Small Fish
Mar 17, 2009
It appears that my guppies messed up my plans for slowly stocking my tank.
I found two rather nicely developed fry.
Seeing as I thought I had 2 females I don't have a tank set up for them. They are big enough to not get eaten and are eating very nicely. They hide in my floating plants and seem to be doing well!

Best layed plans hey! *laughingc

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
you could have two females that produce fry for the next few months.

No male? at one time there was. (guppies and other livebearers can hold sperm for up to six months) Or she could've already been pregnant when you bought her home.

Congrats on the fry. If they are 'well developed" maybe they've been in there for a few weeks.

Ashlea

Small Fish
Mar 17, 2009
Well, I have only had fish in there for a week. I kinda gathered that she managed to get herself knocked up at the LFS or being transported there. But who knows the sex of the babies. They are about 2mm long and are starting to develop a yellow tinge. They are very cute!

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
oh ...if they are only one week old fry, I think they may still be small enough to be eaten.
or at least they are still small enough to be harassed and bullied. Can you move them somewhere safe so that you can feed them seperately and allow some time for growth?
That would be the best option if you want them to make it.

Ashlea

Small Fish
Mar 17, 2009
Nope, I unfortunately can't. I don't have a tank cycled for them. I have been keeping a sharp eye and they are doing very well. I was going to buy a betta box for them but they are very very chilled and they come out and eat with the adults. The adults don't pay any attention to them at all.
I have a large amount of floating plants and they hang out in there.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I suppose they do stand a better chance in the tank than in a betta box.
And the floating plants are helping them to hide so maybe there won't be any problems. But where are all the other fry?

This makes me want to do a livebearer tank, lol. You're right ...they are cute.
It would be cool if at least one were a male because you never know what he will look like in terms of color and pattern. Fun to watch him grow.

Good luck again.

Ashlea

Small Fish
Mar 17, 2009
Well, they are still around. They are growing like weeds. The other fry probably got eaten. *shrugs*
I will be keeping these two, seeing as they were my very first produced. I am however, setting up my 10 gallon as a fry tank. So any others will be popped in there and taken off to the LFS when they are big enough, maybe I can work on trading with them?