Hagen t5ho

Dec 29, 2008
Hi! I'm trying to set up a community tank with plants and have purchased most of what I think I need. The whole lighting thing is confusing me and am wondering if someone can help me out a bit. I have a 46g Bow Front that is 22 inches deep. I want to grow some plants with the fish, but not go overboard. My LFS is suggesting I go with a Haden GLO T5ho 36" Single. Will this work for low light and medium light plants? Or should I get the double? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Dec 29, 2008
Thanks! Will that promote more algea growth? Blind the fish? :)

Another question. I haven't even started setting it up and have read tons about cycling. Because of that I haven't spent much time thinking about what fish yet, but I'm curious about those little frogs I've seen in tanks. Are those ok to put in a planted community tank?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
If you are growing plants, they will hopefully out compete the algae growth... the fish should be fine as long as they aren't already blind... Frogs are actually good in planted tanks and wont disturb the plants at all from what I've heard, but as long as you don't have any large carnivore in your tank it should be okay.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Its cool... I don't think a lot of people on this site have them, I think they look lazy. I'll say it now before someone else will, make sure they aren't the African CLAWED frogs.. cause they can do some damage to your fish opposed to an African DWARF frog.

Dec 29, 2008
I just finished the FAQ. It doesn't look promising for me. :( It appears that a 46g tank is a little large for them as they are difficult to feed in the bigger tanks. I'll worry about getting some later.

I'm still up in the air about the double or the single t5ho.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
singles are only 39 watts and in a 46 gallon that's not a lot, ao you could grow anubias and java fern maybe... 78 watts in a 46 on the other hand is almost 2wpg and that opens up a lot more plants for you to grow.

Dec 29, 2008
Here is where my confusion comes from. I was at the LFS today and the helpful guy there was showing me the Hagen T5HO lights. I had read up on lighting in general and knew that I wanted + or - 2 Watts/Gal. I see these have 39 and assume I need the double for a total of 78. I'm reaching for the wallet when the guy tells me that these lights are different than the standard 2W/G rule and that a single will be just fine. These are super bright lights he tells me and that a double might overpower my tank?

Wha what?

So, I'm clueless. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on these paticular lights. *twirlysmi

Welcome to the forum! No there isn't very good info on lighting because if you understand lighting you have to be very experienced, and understand the plants and what colors go best with others. I would get the "bright lights" only if you place a layer or so of floating fake or real plants at the top of the aquarium. But get what you like. Now there truly are some lights which will be too much for the aquarium but still. Was this guy an employee?