Hair algae on plants

Jul 18, 2007
So I did some searching on this forum and I saw Avalon's suggestion of turning up the CO2. I do not have CO2 to alleivate this problem. How can I get rid of this hair algae on my plants.

Pictures are here.

Picasa Web Albums - Pat

Saves the website some picture room.

Jul 18, 2007
I am all of ferts to dose with, but I just ordered some Liquid Plant Packs Fundamentals Kit which includes Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel. Then I was going to ask about the schedule.

I was thinking about doing the recommended dosage once a day, alternating the 3. Does that sound good?

I am hesitant on going with CO2 for such a small tank. But then again it would be a good investment when I step up to a larger tank. However, I did want to try and not use any CO2 but to cure this problem I might have to look into it.

Maybe I can setup a DIY CO2 system in the short term until I find a CO2 system to go with.

My lights are on from 8am to 8pm, that might to be much lighting correct? I can bump in down to 8-10 hours if that will make a difference.

Thanks

Jul 18, 2007
I have a DIY setup, 3 4 CF bulbs. Let me get the wattage. I cannot for the life of me find the K's of the bulbs.

2 19w CF, and 2 26w CF. So quick math = 3wpg.

Thanks for the dosage chart, going to add it to my bookmarks.

Jul 18, 2007
Uhhh, I am usually never home when the lights are on. I get home after school and the lights are off in the tank. I looked the substrate today and it is covered with a brown algae looking substance. I don't have any pics yet, but I turned off the lights instead. I am going to do a 25%-30% water change right now. I am still waiting on my test kit and ferts that I ordered. Would the blanket method work for killing off this algae? Shouldn't the Oto's be all over that stuff anyways? What are some other algae eaters that would be compatible with Bolivian Rams?