Hair Algae Removing

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just noticed some hair algae starting to show up in my tank. What fish aside from my blenny would eat that stuff? I switched my hours on my fuge so that it ran overnight and shut off in the am. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it because the fuge isn't pulling in all the nutrients? Think increasing the light duration would help?

No3 - 0
Po4 - <.25

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Instead of adding a fish to eat it, I would try to solve the problem. Algae is cause from excessive nutrients in the water whether it be salt water or fresh water, add some plants or macro (?is that right?) to your fuge and increase your water changes. Remove the algae with an old tooth brush.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
My fuge is full of cheato and other macro. Maybe i'm feeding too much. It isn't bad at all right now, but just want to fix it before it becomes an major issue.

I have a RO/DI unit so the water should be good. What tests would show excessive nutrients?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Nitrtate....increasing water changes and decrease feedings should help. If that just doesn't work then add a fish. I think but am not sure that a lawn mower blenny will eat it, someone a little more in the know about salt water should be able to give you more ideas on the fish side of it.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
How old is the tank?

Most tanks go through a "hair algae" phase (actually, they go through several as the ecosystem balances out).

Most blennies eat hair algae. Emerald crabs are also well known for eating hair algae, and while I don't know that it's all his doing, mine seems to keep my tank pretty free of hair algae.

~JW

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's possible that changing the fuge light cycle caused a slight imbalance in something. Have you checked pH, alk and calc.? A change in the day/night fuge cycle may have caused a slight pH swing. You could also check your morning/evening pH levels, just in case.

Turbo snails and hermits also supposedly eat it.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I had some on my sun coral rock when I bought it and my hermits cleaned it all away over night. It was spotless. I have blue legs and left hands.