Halide vs. PC/VHO, what do i do?

bonsai411

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
I recently purchased a surfline 90 gal. aquarium. I need to buy lights for a reef tank, (preferably 450+ watts), however here's the problem . . . The kind of tank I have doesn't allow for much playing room. I need to lay the light fixture/hood right on top of the tank whcih has merely a glass top.

I wanted to go with a 175x2 halid/ 65x2 VHO combo, but will the halides get too hot to lay on top of the tank???

I really want to do a halide system, but if it is too hot, what suggestions do you have? The best retail system I could find for PCs are 4 X 96 PCs. But I wanted more wattage than this.

Anyone know what I can do, or if the halides will be fine?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Why don't you have much room up top. I assume built into a wall.

No you can't lay the halides on top. They get too hot, plus you'll get a superspotlight look. Everything you fear will probably happen - overheating , cracked glass.....

You'll also find you get the same problem with PC's.

VHO's or T5 s would be better, but as I'm assuming 90 gallons is pretty deep they won't have the punch all the way to the bottom. So really you compromise your lighting or get more room uptop.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
What do you mean about laying across the top? If its in the fixture you can use power compacts. You neeed a lot of hood space for metal halides, so I recommend not getting them.

Sam Reef