Halimeda algae

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Back in the summer halimeda spontaneously started growing in my ten gallon. And it's all but taken over... I have to trim it constantly and even moved some into my little vase, and it's taking over there too.

It's a really cool macroalgae... unfortunately, the undesirable green hair algae still runs rampant. I've pretty much come to accept it. Weekly prunings keep it somewhat in check... but if I had a dollar for every pinch of stuff that I pull out, I'd have a learjet on 24 hour standby.

Unfortunately, nearly all of my coraline growth has dissolved. But alk and calcium levels remain high, as does the pH, even though I don't dose with anything. Some of the guys in my local reef club are marveled by this... and I am too as I really have no explanation.

In late March, tt'll be two years I've had my ten gallon reef. I'd like to see the green hair algae leave and the coraline come back, but I'm not too picky. :)

Anyone else have halimeda?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Hey Lordroad,

I had some a while back but at the time I had a royal urchin in my tank and the Halimedia dissapeared overnight... I was quite pissed actually as I really like the looks of it.

I have read they require good calcium levels and don't like high nitrates or Phosephates and are untolerante of excessive pruning.

Have you seen the 400g tank CAPSLOCK posted in "rate my tank" http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/rate-my-tank-saltwater/44035-amazing-tank-my-school-big-pics.html

Oh and Joe yes it is sometimes called the "Money plant"

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
what kind of lighting are you using again lordroad? Sometimes i have seen coraline bleach under more intense lighting, although the opposite happened when I switched to MH....so who knows.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
aresgod said:
what kind of lighting are you using again lordroad? Sometimes i have seen coraline bleach under more intense lighting, although the opposite happened when I switched to MH....so who knows.
Hi Ares,

I'm using the 96 watt quad bulb 50/50.

I started losing the coraline growth when the green hair algae started to leave the live rock... interestingly enough, it began on the glass, was a menace there for several months... then died off almost completely and the coraline took over again. When I had coraline it was out of control... had to shave it off the glass once a month otherwise the tank would have become a unviewable square of red and orange, lol

But the green hair came back, this time attacking the live rock. It covered it in about 3-4 months and the coraline turned white and died.

Since the move the only difference is I'm forced to use RO water as opposed to RO/DI... but that's it.

Same thing has happened in my 1 gallon vase too so it's probably the water... wal mart Culligan RO water as opposed to the RO/DI I used to get at an Earthfare... but who knows.

So your coraline really took off when you added MH?