Hammer vs Frog spawn

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
To me thse two corals look a like. Though, after researching them I see they are slightly different. I would like to get one of them, but I don't know if 120 watts of NO will be ok . I have a spot a few inches from the top of the tank where I would like to put it. Can anyone offer any personal experience?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I was thinking they were the other way. I guess I will consider the frog spawn then. I'm going to be updating my light soon, probably after christman. Though I would like to get the MH/PC combo, I cannot afford it. From what I have read I should be able to keep pretty much everything except SPS under PC. Is this correct?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Joe I have frogspawn in both my 75 and 20. In the 20 it is under a 65w pc and it is thriving....3 times the size it was when I put a one headed frag in there in June. Now is is about the size of a large grapefruit and has permanently attached to the rock. The one in my 75 is under a mh/pc combo and is doing equally well. I don't target feed mine but I know people that do. You may also consider a torch......

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I have had both, but I preffer the Branching Frogspawn as it is easily fragged and if one head gets damaged it does not effect the others. I recently just sold one of my frogspawn frags that had 4 nice heads on it and my mother colony is alomst done another split into another 4 heads and is almost ready to frag agian.

oh ya and I use the coralife 130w PC

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Ok, went to the lfs and made a purchase. They had a nice branching frogspawn with 4 heads on it. I still only have 120 of NO, but I have half of what I need for the MH/t5 combo. I think santa might help..I asked for gift cards. Where do you think I can put it in my tank? Right now it's about 4" down, but the one side is getting hit pretty hard by flow. I now they need medium flow, but just how much is that anyway? Can I put it towards the bottom?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Optimum flow would allow the sweepers to fully extend and sway about in different directions, if they are blowing over continously to one side then the flow may be to strong and this not may allow the sweepers to fully open or in extrem case damage the soft tissue.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes agreed, low flow so that the sweepers just gently sway in the current. The hard flow beating on them will cause them to not fully inflate and may cause soft tissue damage. I think anywhere in the top 1/3 of your set up would be good. Their requirements are similar to your bubble coral. Time for pics.... :)

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Will do. I have it right by my bubble and that coral is doing great. I had to adjust a powerhead so the flow wasting hitting it so hard. I'm going to give it a little bit to come out a little more. Check back later.

How long do you think it will take to extend all the way?

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I read that I need to keep my calcium level up to help the branches grow. It's been two weeks since my last water change and the calcium is between 380 and 400. I'm going to retest tomorrow after my water change. If I do decide to start dosing what should I use and will it interfere with my superbuffer?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Right now the frogspawn it in the upper part of my tank, about 4 inches or so from the top. I'll be upgrading to MH/vho real soon( 2 - 250w MH and 2 110w vho ). Where should I move it too? Bottom? What about the bubble coral it is also at the top. Can I put it in the sand?

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I have VHO and my frogspawn are at the bottom of the tank. They are doing really well and have doubled in size since I got them about four months ago