Hammerhead coral

Feb 18, 2006
Yesterday i bought some hammerhead coral atleast that is what it was called. It looks like Euphyllia ancora but it hass like 9 stemms with the ends of this Euphyllia ancora coming out of it and on all the web sites it looks like its sort of a bush can they look different? and are they an easy coral to take care of they seem to be fine

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
what kind of light do you have on your tank...I see a few difficult specimens in your sig...I assume you know that your flame scallop is going to die from starvation within a few months?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't define any euphyllia as especially hard to keep, but they will require some decent lighting plus regular feeding with frozen shrimp or similar. You will find however they can be prone to getting nipped by fish , and if you have any algae issues they really do NOT like being overgrown by algae.

Apart fomr the flame scallop, other nohopers in your tank include the feather duster, most of the anemonaes and the goniopora. While I agree most of these things are on sale far to often as it is very well known they starve to death over a period of 3 to 6 months, it would be wise to investigae things before you buy them.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
because these things die in captivity...and usually people purchase them as impulse buys or are told that they are easy to care for by a misinformed lfs...or people just dont care when things in their tank die.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Because I find it annoying when the things in my tank die.

Don't you?

Tell me how the goniopora is doing in 2 or 3 years time, then we'll see if it's a success- ditto the others.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
OK I understand that you guys have a lot of knowledge but I dont think that telling telling him that everything in his tank is going to die is very nice. I had a Flame Scallop that did wonderful. It died cause of me. Not becuase it wasnt eating. Just becuase it is said somewhere that they are difficult doesnt mean that someone cant have success with them. How are Feather Dusters difficult?? Thats new to me. I think that you guys need to give him the best advise to try and keep it alive then sit here and bash his tank into the dirt.

I do however see problems in your tank now that I read your sig. You need to be careful with the Anenomies. Anenomies move and are very aggressive to other types. Also Goniopora is a hard coral. I reccomend ALOT of reading. You also need to not anymore fish to your tank. Can I see a pic of this tank by chance???

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No , I doubt it is very nice being told that you have a lot of livestock that is going to die, unsuitable for what else you have and so on. However it is the case that there are a lot of things sold that frankly are going to starve to death and these are often things that newbies like to buy. Flame scallops and feather dusters are a couple of the more obvious candidates. Both of these feed on specific sizes of planktonic material, and I can assure you that bottled phtoplankton, bottled 'marine snow' and the other things you are likely to be able to buy are simply not going to do it. These guys starving to death might not be obvious, but in a matter of time, a few months you get posts like 'the heads fallen off my featherduster what is wrong' or 'the legs have fallen off my linckia starfish'. Or my goniopora won't expand any more and the flesh is falling off it. It's not as obvious as 'I bought a copperband butterfly but it won't eat anything' but the end effect is the same.

People who keep these things a long time have large setups and big refugiums that provide the nutrition required without relying on bottled mixes and hoping for the best. These are not things I see on most peoples systems.

These things are sold because they're cheap, available on wholesalers lists, they sell easy and are perceived as easy because they don't drop dead on the spot. But long term care should be the target, and I don't think these are good creatures. And I frankly wish would research a bit more and think a bit more about what they want their tank to look like in a year or so's time before they bought stuff.

Generally I am not thrilled with a lot of the material , live or dead, sold by the big chains and frankly most lfs's. There's lots of unsuitable livestock, and tons of rubbish hardware sold by and bought by the unwitting. Marine aquaria keeping should be fun and interesting, and you shouldn't need to spend your money replacing junk hardware and dead livestock. Being a wise purchaser saves you a lot of bother and heartache, but it does require the aquarist to do some legwork and only buy responsibly. If that's too much bother for you then you probably won't spend a lot of time in the hobby frankly (probably explaining why 80% of marine tanks are setup less than a year)