Hang on overflow

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Anyone want to share their experences with hang on overflows? I am thinking about buying a CPR with the aqualifter pump into a homemade sump useing live rock as the bio media. I am really concerned about the sipion breaking and having a flood. Some tell me they never have a problem, others say it's always a problem. I am always seeking more opinions.

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
I went with an overflow and havent had a flood , I already had a glass tank that was not pre drilled so it was my only option. just make sure you have plenty of room in the sump and on the return line to the tank you should have a weep hole to keep the water from the tank out of your sump.

Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Having my tank drilled is not an option. The tank is established and the glass is tempered. I understand how the flow of a sump works, but what if I pour a gallon of make up water in the sump. Does the water level in the tank rise? My thought is "no" because the sump works on flow rate. Am I correct?

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
you could put more water in the sump no problem or in the main tank,slowly. the overflow will just take the water right back into the sump your water level in the main system will stay the same level.just make sure that when you turn the return pump off there is enuff room in the sump for the water that is in the overflow. i hope thi helps ya,

Last edited: