Hang on Protein Skimmer Suggestions

Wormo3188

Large Fish
Apr 6, 2003
New York
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a hang on back protien skimmer that is less than 200 dollars? I was looking into Sea Chems, Sea Clone, I think thats what it is called. It would be for a 29g tank. I am new to this so I was just wondering what I should stay away from and what would be a good choice.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Wormo3188

Large Fish
Apr 6, 2003
New York
Visit site
So your saying to stay away from the SeaClone, and to go out and look for the aqua-c remora. I have been looking and I have seen prices between 150 and 160, does that seem about right? I was having trouble finding a place that sells it, Bigals doesnt, but I found Marine Depot and that seems to look like a good site, do you guys have any recomendations on where I should go about looking for the skimmer?

Thanks for the help.

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
Many of the major online SW retailers sell them. I wouldn't worry too much about price since I believe Aqua C forces all retailers to sell them at the msrp. The only saving you may find is on shipping. Somtimes marine depot has free shipping. You can also check the Aqua C website (www.proteinskimmer.com) or try doing a google search.

Brian

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
I bought a Red Sea Prizm skimmer for my 29 gallon tank, but it is really noisy. I am looking for something quiet, but don't know which is best for low noise. I was thinking of just getting a skimmer that would be powered by a bubble stone. What are the quietest skimmers in general, pump or no pump? Thanks

Nov 16, 2003
Visit site
I recently bought a CPR BakPak2r, I had been debating between Remora and CPR, finally went with the CPR because of lower price and the fact that people said they were quieter.

Mine doesn't seem quiet at all, in fact I can't watch tv when the skimmer is on. Don't know if it's a problem with my unit or if they're supposed to be noisy?

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
I just bought a cpr pak pak and the noisy part is the incoming air hose. There are silencers you can buy or you can put an airstone on the line to reduce the noise. Mine did not come with a silencer and I used the Hagen air stones that are soft and flexible and they seem to do a good job.

If the noise is coming from the pump I would just replace the pump.