Happy Betta!

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
My betta's been eating a LOT the past few days (4 pellets twice a day) and I realized I'm probably over feeding him. It was kind of obvious by the growing size of his huge gut! I also noticed that he wasn't letting out any poop so I thought he might be constipated.

Last night I fed him some freeze dried blood worms which he actually ate this time very greedily and immediately after saw that his stomach was larger already! So I skipped his feeding this morning and bought some peas on the way home from work. When I looked in his tank I was sooooooo relieved to see a big clump of poop on the bottom, a smaller gut on my fish, and a small group of bubbles on the surface! I never thought I would be so happy to see fish poop, lol. Just thought I'd share that with everyone. I hope he'll still eat these peas I'm going to feed him. =)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
My roommates have always have good luck feeding their bettas peas, and they always eat it right up. I wonder if it can be fed regularly (like once a week) as preventative medicine or treat?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I would not feed peas on a regular basis... who needs the runs all the time. Its not a part of their 'natural' diet, and some flat-out refuse to eat peas.

I am glad your betta is feeling and looking better. Over feeding is a HUMAN issue, not a fish issue. We need to train outselves (and other helpers in the family) to give just enough food, sparingly, to keep the fish healthy.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
skip on feeding your betta for 2 whole days!... it wont hurt them, do you think they eat like that in the wild?

then after a couple of days of fasting, i would feed like normal but only ONCE a day ;-)

but thats just what i would do

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
I didn't boil the peas long enough, so he grabbed 'em then spat 'em out. :p If he's having troubles again I'll remember to boil 'em 'till they're pretty mushy.

BTW, I also dropped by Walmart to see their tanks. Pretty sad to see how they care for their fish since they're not a pet store. Lots of fish were dead in one tank with the others pecking at 'em, and I actually saw TWO male bettas in a tiny plastic container. One of 'em was already dead :( and the other was already more cramped than usual. None of the bettas looked healthy either like when I bought mine. Baaaad place to buy fish from. Totally off topic, but ya...