Hardy enough?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
why dont you just do a fishless cycle? You have some plants in there...if its going to be a planted tank a fishless cycle will go even more quickly! You can seed it with media etc from your established tank to help speed it up. Could be finished in a week or two...as opposed to losing fish and doing lots of extra water changes and taking several months to cycle...

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Totally agree with what Froggy said, a fishless cycle would go very fast if you used media from your current tank. You may not even see one.

To answer your question: Absolutely not. Out of the tetras (none are a good choice for fish cycle) they are probably one of the most sensitive. Really you may as well try to cycle the tank with discus. So much to the point that even if I were seeding a tank with filter media from another tank and I didn't see any spikes, I would not put them in the tank until I knew for sure it was well seasoned.

And no Cories are not a good choice either.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Wow!

I can keep sensitive fish, w00t!

Not quite as hard as I'd imagined. Maybe I'll try my hand as some Brook Silversides. Last time they died in the sein, before I got it out of the water. Not kidding. You look at brookies wrong they go teats-up.