have i set my tank up right

Feb 8, 2009
hi i've just setup my 1st tank juwel vision 180 after sending back a 220ltr as it was 3cms to wide for the space in my living room

i have laminated flooring not perfectly level so to help level it out and spread weight i used a sheet of 18mm ply coated with a pva seal and coverd with carpet ties so to not show the ply board

floor was still a bit out from right to left so i used a sheet of 3mm foam under the stand that came with the old tank this helped a bit. right now my stand and tank is perfect back to front but between 3mm to 4mm out from left to right

so should this be ok i've noticed you cant add foam under the tank itself with the vison 180 as the tank sits in a shell with the bottom of tank in the air

to give you a idea if i place my level inside the stand base the bubble sits between the 2 lines but on the right line not over the line just next to it then if i place 2 credit cards under the level one side its fine

many thanks

Last edited:

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I still put foam underneath the shell of my old juwel rekord 96. The plastic shell is supposed to spread the weight but I wanted to make sure I was completely safe and put some polystyrene ceiling tiles underdeath.

I've never had to level my aquariums but.. won't the foam just be squashed underneath the weight of the water? I think emmanuelchavez had to level his tank out a while back, he'll be able to tell you more I reckon.

Feb 8, 2009
cheers the 3mm foam i have under the stand is a long black sheet that was left when i returned my regency 100 tank it was ment to go under that tank as the regency doesnt have a shell

i was going to place it under the this vision 180 tank untill i read in the maunal to never put foam under the tank thats why i placed it on the floor

if this 4mm is a big problem should i drain the tank and put carpet under the left 2 legs to counter it out i can live with it aslong as its safe. i have a 12" long orscar in the tank now so will be alot of work moving about everything now

Feb 8, 2009
what a nightmare! i drained 50% of the tank back to the old tank moved fish then drained the rest down the sink. removed foam then placed half another carpet tile on the left 2 legs and got a perfect left to right balance

the problem then was it put the front to back balance out with the stand having 8 legs its a pain in the butt it really should have some kind of foam on each leg. anyway after filling testing and draining many times i managed with a few bits of the foam under a few of the other legs to get the left to right balance spot on perfect with the front to back very close about 2mm out

heres a pic

by the way i did ask before but as you can see the tank is in a 1m gap between chimney and outside wall. i did have a look at the joists 1st which are two 7x2s just over 1m long going from left to right looking at that picture. under the floor the chimney comes out another brick wide to hold the joist so the left of the tank is only a few inch away from being on the brick work same with the right but the joist sits on a 6x4 frame fitted to the right wall using what looks like some kind of brick pegs along the right wall in places the bricks come out 3 high these act like shelfs that hold the 6x4 frame with the 7x2 on top. must be a old build house but looks like the strongest place in my living room what do you guys recon?

i had a builder wanting to build a 1.5m wall under the floor with a cost of £900 lol

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
think of it this way warbeast. the weight of your tank will have less pounds/kgs per square inch than a man that weights the same standing in the same spot. i was worried about this when i set up my 110 gal tank in my living room. so i figured that if 4 to 5 guys at 200lb each stood where my tank was would it handle the weight and yes it would and each person would have more lbs/kg per square inch on the floor than a 4ft long 20 inch wide tank and stand. i dont know what measurment you use, pounds or kilos but i hope it gives you a idea how to judge what kind of weight your floor will handle. oh and your oscar will outgrow your tank incase you weren't aware of that.

Feb 8, 2009
thanks alot that was a air freshener. my back cover doesnt shut right with the extra filter running so i used the 1st thing to hand to hold it down removed now thou

my orscar is the only fish in the tank now the others in the picture are only in the tank after i was moving everything about changing water last night

the orscar is just under 11" long and its over 4 years old i was told it wont grow much more if any at all infact the shop said that 2 they had same age and size would be ok with the extra filters on top not that i would ever put 2 in under 70 gallons but the shop wasnt some nasty conor shop. ive seen many local shops with larger oscars in smaller tanks with hole in the head unable to turn around

but i know what you mean they can get between 14" 18" long and then it becomes more then just water vol and more about size of tank for a 18" fish to turn around in. ofcouse this oscar may still grow abit but i would be more worried if he was alot younger at 11"