having a 2nd tank...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
naw a 55 isnt too big at all. Their are some people who have like 4 tanks that are from 30-100 gallons. It all depends on if your willing to take care of multiple tanks and if you can afford it.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Give or take. It depends on how much you go on equipment, fish, plants ect, and tank like weather you build your own stand or so forth. Id say a good planted tank would be around there

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Could cost you next to nothing. Keep your eye on the sunday paper in your area. almost every week somebody is selling their setup for a fraction of what it would cost new. ANd BTW, 55gallons is a nice size for a 2nd tank. very nice. you may neglect your 10 though after having the 55.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I get the local paper and the Philly paper and there's almost always bargains in the "articles For Sale" section. Don't buy new equipment until you've exhausted the used supply in your area.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
You can save money on a 55g tank by buying the tank and stand at Walmart. I have them both and they're perfect. The stand is black and sleek with four cabinets - and its got some coating that won't leave water stains. I actually think its more attractive than most in specialty stores.

The tank comes in a kit with the covers and stock lighting, maybe a heater, I can't recall.

The only problem is that you would want to upgrade the filter that comes on it. I use a Fluval 304 and love it. I think its 80$ at www.bigalsonline.com

The stand and tank set are only 230$. Add 80 to that and its only $310.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Heh, after having a 10 gal for like 9 years, my next tank was a 30, which I set up over the summer. And acutally my 10 gal is still by far my favorite and I pay more attention to it. "my baby", lol. I guess in comparison I tend to ignore the 30 a bit, I admit. And I do find the 30 to be a lot of work. I don't think I could handle a 55 personally.

But its all on how you look at it, and what you're ready to take upon. Many people do run several huge tanks with ease.

I suggest you have a look at ebay and aquabid for equipment, often second hand stuff is just as good and goes a lot cheaper. I'd gladly have taken a second hand canister if i found one for a good price at the time i was stocking up for the second tank.

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
Are you doing planted again? If so are you going to get a CO2 system and good lighting? If so you can EASILY spend at least $800. When it comes to care and maintenance I think my larger tanks are not much more hassel than my smaller tanks. My first tank was actually a 250 gallon tank that I got when I was 12 years old. If anything, larger tanks are more forgiving...just a little more pricey to stock and maintain.