Having issues with my sump

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
I finally got my 75 and my 30gallon sump up and running.. im having a problem with the water not draining fast enough :( .. i have a fairly large U tube that is going down about a 1 1/4" tube into the sump i also had to add 2 pieces of garden hose because my return pump is pushing more water than is draining.. my sump is only half full and the water that is draining is really loud! is there any way to get it to drain faster so i could put more water in the sump.. everytime i add water to the sump my main tank gets fuller.. i take it its because its pumping faster than its draining.. is this correct? :confused: my return pump is a mag 7 btw.. if anyone has any idea how to fix my problem it would be great! thanks
~ Jim

p.s. just got some frogspawn about 2 hrs ago and its almot opened up all the way.. looks great under the moonlights! *SUPERSMIL

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Throttle back the pump or rebuild the overflow with bigger pipes. You don't have any/many options.
Splahing, gurgiling is a separate kettle of fish

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
what size is the pvc overflow?

and on the mags theres no way to dial the flow down on the actual pump you need to use ball valves (but that could possibly mean a check valve if back pressure is too high)

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
the u tube is about 3/4" ID and what ever size regular garder hose is.. guess i can try adding another peice? .. im never gonna get this damn thing working right!

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
What I would try (I dont know if this would work) is add a "T" to the return and on the part of the "T" that inst inline you can add the ball valve then you should be able to adjust how much water goes back to the tank. What ever isnt let off by the ball valve will go back to the tank. Just make sure to point the for no better word to describe Blow off valve back into the sump.

If you need me to When I gat back in town tomorrow I can draw you what I am talking about.

MAHA

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i just bought a 1 1/4" U Tube off ebay for like 3 bucks it should be here tomorrow so i can get rid of the garden hoses lol.. The new u tube will be wider then both of them together so that should help.. i did check yesterday aresgod and 1 of the hoses did lose siphon that was the main reason.. once i got it back its flowing nicely and i lost about 1" water outta the main into the sump in a matter of seconds.. now i gotta go get some more water to put in the sump and main and call it good! thanks for the ideas

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
3/4 inch is very small , and 1 1/4 frankly is not enormous. The bigger tubes you get going down is better, a bit of slack for when they start to gunk up or a snail gets stuck or whatever.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
The flow rate on your water to the sump doesn't depend on the size of the siphon tube but rather depend on the difference in water level between the inner and outter overflow box ... simple work of gravity. The bigger the difference, the faster thew flow. When the 2 water level becomes same, the siphon is cut off. This is your fail safe during a power or pump failure.
Ideally, your water level in the inner is higher than outter and just water flows from the inner to outter overflow box. There are 2 ways to rasie the level of water in the inner overflow box.
You can either rasie inner overflow box or rasie the water level in the main tank. When you rasie the water level in the main tank, more water is poured into the inner overflow box and thu raising the water.
Look the diagram I posted in the other post about the sump.

Rohn