Hazardous Worm?

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Well, I haven't posted in a long while, and a lot has happened since. I ditched the 5 gallon hexagon and upgraded to a 8 gallon. That aside (will be posted later), I found this critter poking in and out of the live rock, and wondered if it were one of those worms that eat mushrooms? No damage has been done to any yet, but he was fairly close to one, and I don't want to lose any corals to this thing. BTW, I do not have a picture, as he is afraid of the light, so I put my drawing skills to the test :D

Behavior:

When either the light is turned on, or a flashlight is on him, he darts back into the rock. It doesn't seem to notice the red lazer pointer I shine on him. When it takes a "bite" of something, the little star-like mouth disappears and is sucked inside him, only to come back once again. The star-like mouth looks like teeth, but I'm not too sure. Light gray in color.

I know this is a little rough to go on, but its the best I could do without spooking it. Just looking for if I should remove it or let it be. Thanks!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
without a pic it is pretty hard to id. My guess is a peanut worm which seem fairly common in live rock and are harmless......though as stated without a pic it is pretty hard

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Yeah, like I said, a pic is hard since the worm hides from lights or flashes. But now that you say peanut worm, I looked at some pictures of it, and it looks almost like one. If I can get some pictures of it, I'll definately post it.

Aug 10, 2007
Is this a peanut worm??

Look at the top edge of the sand in the attached photo. The worm is stretched out from under the vertical outcropping of live rock, extended to the left. He appears to be feeding on debris that has fallen off the LR while it is curing...It looks like a banded earthworm. It was extended 2-3" when I snapped this photo. It doesn't like a flashlight, and retracts almost completely into the rock/sand when startled.

Any suggestions?

LL