Hearty tank cleaner

Nov 16, 2010
i have a 29 gallon and need to know what is a hearty tank cleaner that would keep my tank reliaively clean.

lawn mower blenny?
snail?
crab or shrimp?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
depends on what you want to clean. I find the emerald crab is great for cleaning rocks and glass he can reach from all sorts of algae. You'd have to clean the glass yourself and probably get some sort of snail just to help out a bit. 29 gal can probably support one Mexican turbo snail, which is supposed to be very hard working. its an absolute tank though. the turbo and the emerald will throw coral frags around so make sure you glue any frags into place securely.

The emerald will also take care of most uneaten food. its a good all round CUC member, but remember to keep him well fed if the rocks are already all clean from algae.

shrimp are useful for uneaten food, but the emerald crab already does that. if you run into an aiptasia problem in the future, a peppermint shrimp might be useful, but again keep that one well fed.

you may also want to invest in one hermit crab just for added algae coverage and additional scavenging force. one is usually best if you already have the turbo and the emerald. more crabs and they'll fight for snail shells. either way provide a lot of shells for the hermit. stick to "reef-safe", dwarf hermits although the electric blue hermit might be reef safe as well. he grows bigger though.

Last edited:

mlipst

Small Fish
Jul 22, 2008
You really can't rely on livestock to maintain a clean look for your tank. You need to invest in a Mag-Float (or something like it) cleaner for the glass and a toothbrush to keep after any algae on your rock. Eventually you may be able to dump the toothbrush, but will always need the Mag-Cleaner on a regular basis.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
You want a good mix of snails to keep the tank clean.... Differant snails eat differant types of algae which is why I say you want a "mix"... In addition to your snails you can get some Blue leg hermits, an Emerald crab, Peppermint shrimp and Brittle starfish

Your going to have to clean the glass by hand aswell (magfloat) aswell obviously but you still want a clean up crew to eat uneaten food, algae ect. BTW the snails/crabs are what will keep your rock "clean" ;)