Heat Problems

I've been around for a while, but I thought I would post this in the beginner section in case someone else may be able to learn from my problems and what I've done to fix it.
If others have suggestions please feel free to post too.

Heat is a major problem for aquarium fish in the summer. For many people running the AC in the room with your aquarium will keep everything nice and regular. Other people (like myself) do not have AC in the fish room so the water gets hot.
Here in Maryland we're dealing with some pretty hot (and sticky) weather this week. My water temp has risen about 8 degrees in 2 days. Today it is 84 in my 50 gal (outside temp is about 98).

Knowing that the temp would be a problem the first thing I did was to turn off the lights. Except for the most delicate of plants, lights off in a planted aquarium will be fine for a week or two (the measures I'm listing are really only good for a short period. Just enough to get you over the hump and out of a heat wave). Unfortunately I did not take into account my canister filter, and why I have it. The canister creates very little surface agitation which allows CO2 to build up which the plants really like.
Fish do not like CO2. This is usually not a problem, but as the water temp goes up, the oxygen levels go down. Yesterday afternoon I found 2 flying fox and a yoyo loach dead. Cardinals hanging listless at the surface, and a gourami at the surface on his side.
I immediately knew the problem. Yes it was hot, but the fish had suffocated.

The first thing I did was to rotate my spray bar so that the water was arching over the water. This created a water fountain and began agitating the surface. Agitation means that CO2 will leak out of the water faster and that oxygen will enter it. Then I dumped a few handfuls of ice into the tank (along with some StressCoat). A few minutes later all of the fish were swimming again at their normal level of the column. Today they still looked healthy (except for the 3 I lost).

Ice Cubes aren't a great long term solution for cooling a tank down.
Instead I froze bottles of water. These are going to be added one at a time, and replace each other. If I add all of the frozen bottles then I risk a temperature flux which would be very bad to already weakened fish.

The other thing that I did was to uncover the tank (or open lids). Water will cool itself through evaporation. At the moment we're so humid that not much is evaporating, but it is still an important step.

Ultimately I think the most critical thing to do for a hot tank is to make sure that it has plenty of suface agitation. Whether this is from a bubbler, a rotated spray bar, or an HOB filter cascading into the water getting the CO2 out of the water when it's hot is vital.

Oh, and you'll obviously need to turn off CO2 injectors.

I hope that this helps some of you in the future. Like I said, this isn't a long term fix. Only AC or an aquarium chiller will provide that.

Jonathan

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, definitely increase surface agitation from filters (or add an airstone or powerhead). A fan blowing across the surface can help, too.

Our tanks regularly go to 84 or 86 F in the summer. Most of the fish handle it well. However, during summer, the average temperature in the tanks is higher too, so there is maybe a climb from 80 to 84 over the course of a day. Fast changes are much more dangerous.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Thank you for your thread. Friday was very hot here in Michigan. We didn't turn our air on until I noticed the temp in the fish tanks and freaked out. Wasn't sure if I could put ice in the tanks or not. So I did a water change slowly to get the temp down. Started this hobby in the winter and did not think about the hot summer and keeping the tanks at a stable temp. Across the street has been without power for a couple of days. That is another thing I have to think about. What to do when power goes out?

When the power goes out your options are pretty limited.
You're dealing with two problems at that point:
1) lack of water movement
2) lack of filtration

The impact of #2 completely depends on how densely packed your tank is. If you have a lightly stocked tank with lots of plants you'll be able to survive longer and with less effort then a heavily stocked fish only tank.

Ultimately the only thing that you can do for either situation is water changes.
You can also buy battery powered airpumps. It may be worth the investment if power outages are common on your street.

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
I have experienced a few power outages with my fish in the several years I have had tanks. I was lucky and mine occured mostly during the warmer months. I have gone as far as using a straw to blow air into the tank. I figure it will get the water moving a bit and put extra oxygen into the tank. I experienced no deaths luckily in the many outages I've experienced.