heater in sump

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
i have a 300W heater in my sump, the temp in the main tank is about 83-85. the heater is set at 71 degrees... could there be a reason for this? should the heater not be in the sump? there is only about 5 gallons of water in the sump at any time. but it does cycle through. the heater does turn on some of the time. i let the heat stay at 80 somthing because i am treating for ich but when i am done, i would like the temp to come down... maby there is too much running water over the heater? or its cooling off going through the wet/dry?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The cause of your heat is most likely coming from your other equipment. How much equipment do you have running?? I keep my SW tank at around 80 degrees. There is nothing wrong with that. SW is supposed to be warmer than FW.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
as well what is the temp of the water in your sump? If it's drasticly different than the main tank then there are other factors involved like lighting perhaps or other equipment. If it's the same than you heater is wacked and you may whish to get a new one or just learn where the sweet spot is on the one you have now.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
PuNanny said:
Is it smart to have a heater in your maintank and sump?

It is a good idea to have 2 heaters in your system, but I.M.O. if you have a sump I would keep them both in there; keeps the display tank less clattered. The only thing I would have in the main tank would be a couple of power heads for water flow.

Twistedimage92 any progress in solving your temp issue?