Heater question

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I'm going to the pet store tonight to buy a new heater. I bought one of them cheap heaters made by PENN PLAX last week, and it's worthless. The water fluxuates so much. We can't keep it steady.
Can you reccomend a half decent heater that isn't priced way out there??
I prefer one that has the temp numbers on it, but any will do.

Thanks for your help

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Rena Cal Top Light Excel - I like these heaters. I have two of these in the 55 I'm getting ready, and since they are approved for a full submersion they made a nice choice for me. The price isn't too bad...$20 for a 150w.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I love my submersible Hagen Tronic heaters....they're what all of mine are getting replaced with as they die...and my new tanks get them. Not too expensive and definitely accurate. I just got a 200w for my 46 from bigals and it was like $18.

But of course with every heater you just need to make sure you get a big enough one for your tank. If you dont get a powerful enough heater then you'll get fluxuations. I think the usual measurement is like 2-5 watts per gallon.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I ussualy only use Ebo-Jagers. I bought a stealth visitherm but it didnt work at all for me, it I think was a dud and was broken when I got it, and not neccasarily the heater. But now I returned it and have vowed to only use Jagers now. There not expensive, I got a 100 watt for about 16 bucks on Big Als