heater question

fishiwish

Small Fish
May 3, 2009
I am new to the hobby, and I have to ask a question about my heater. It is just a basic submersible heater from Petco for a 5-15 gallon tank. My tank is 14 gal. I never noticed this before but the light that shows it's on keeps going on and off. The outside sticky thermometer says the temp is around 79 but boy the water does not feel very warm to the touch. This is probably really stupid, cuz I can understand that the heater probably does cycle on and off according to the temp of the water, but just checking! *twirlysmi Thnks.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Usually the light on means its on and heating up. When its off usually its at that temp.

Edit - Also I once thought the water was cold too to the touch.. when at the 78 i was looking for was there. But if anything check with a different thermometer and see. I had to buy special one that went up that high.. And it was fine.. If not fine get new one for the tank..

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
waters gonna naturally feel cooler to the touch...

so if your house is 79 and your touch the water and its 79, its not going to feel the same because its a liquid..

i agree with get a different thermometer to check though, see if you have a cooking one or something (though that wouldnt be incredibly accurate, but will give you a general idea)