Heater ?, tank getting worse

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
I've done two 48 hour API General Cure treatments now and no one looks better. Several more fish are covered now. If it's not velvet I'm at a loss. Some fish it's rust colored, some it's more shimmery-gold.

I'm sorry to keep bothering everyone about this.

My heater is 100w and cranked all the way up the tank's only at 79. Should I get a different one - supplemental or get one with a higher wattage all around? Is this one defective or is this normal?

Oct 28, 2010
Did you remove the carbon from the filters? Just making sure because that would be the simplest explanation.

And I would think a 100w filter would be more than adequate for warming a 26 gallon tank higher than 79.

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
It just has a +/- range. OrangeCones, yours has numbers? It's the one that came with the Aqueon kit - it says "All-Glass Aquarium" 100w.

I did remove the filter, yes.

I have been trying like mad to get pictures for you guys. It seems impossible to get a clear shot, and these markings are so fine, it's really frustrating.

Feb 27, 2009
Yes, all of mine have numbers.

Most of the 'preset' heaters are set at 78. If yours has an adjustment, it sounds like it should be able to heat higher. It may be set to not go over a set temperature though. 78ish is normally fine to maintain tropical fish.

To get in-focus pics of fast fish, I find it useful to actually take a MOVIE of the fish for 10-15 seconds. Software can then be used to look at individual images that make up the movie (but don't ask me what software, that is my hubby's expertise!).

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Aha! Hadn't thought of that. Ok. I just have a little video option on my digital camera, but I will give that a go! Thanks.

I guess I'm going to call the manufacturer at this point on the heater.

ETA: Ok, the manufacturer will replace it, but it will take 10 days to get it here. LFS said try repositioning the heater right next to the filter. If it's not bumping up by tomorrow this time I'll call them again I guess, and hopefully they will just replace it. I still have the receipt. About 4 days ago the tank lost 4 degrees, unrelated to a water change. One window was cracked, and the room did feel a little colder to me than usual, so I wrote it off. Now I wonder if that was the heating element starting to go...

Gah! Will this ever be fun and routine so I can just enjoy the tank?

Last edited:

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Whelp.... just did the flashlight test. Better than half the fish have gold-crusted gills.

So. Velvet. Light totally off? I read somewhere to cover the tank - really? Assuming we get the heater squared away - 82º is it right and then some sort of copper treatment? Am i supposed to gravel vacuum like mad at some point?

Tips please?

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Repositioning the heater to right next to the HOB filter intake took care of it. We're at 82 with room to spare at the top of the thermostat dial. *thumbsups

So. I have the light hood totally off the tank. We have a floor lamp next to that, so that's on and light comes through the glass top of the lid but the tank is pretty dim. Hopefully that is ok.

Anyone use copper for velvet?

Feb 27, 2009
I guess your filter puts out a lot of current and wasn't letting the heated water circulate?

I've never had a fish with velvet, so can't comment. I hope others that have had success can chime in.

Good luck with your fish!

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
I couldn't fine Coppersafe, and had to get Maracide instead. We're on day 3 and I'm not seeing improvement yet in appearances yet. Behavior wise, things seem improved (no swimming in place or vertical stalls or anything like that anymore) except... The neon that was the tank aggressor finally pissed someone off enough to fight back. Almost his whole tail is gone. Do people euthanize fish at this point? :(

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Nope. No need to euthanize. I got an albino cory from Petco that was missing his entire tail (we thought it was a birth defect because it was so cleanly gone). I put him in my 55gal and a week or so later, he had his tail back! Pristine water conditions will help him heal faster.

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
We've lost a neon, and it's not "nearly tailless" neon. I spent at least 20 minutes this afternoon observing the tank, not seeing any remarkable behavior, and two hours later one was gone, along with his entire tail. His color looked rubbed off.

The thing going on with the other fish is that all their attachment points all are now rusty red looking. I don't know if that's from the Maracide somehow or what. We're on day 5 of that.... Sigh.... It seems like nothing is helping. Bad morale over here.