Hello All " Please Read "

SaltyDude

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Houston
www.crowleysigns.com
hello ALL!!

i'm happy to say i'm a new saltwater tank owner, and i'm starting to pile up alot of questions. lol

i'm woundering if someone would read over what all i have done, and kinda decypher how i am doing.

i have had my tank since jan. 7th. i'm at about 2 weeks

its a 30gal tank. i baught from Petco. came with a heater, and a full filter set up. " Bio Filter "
I baught 2 bags of fish tank sand " said it had all the bacteria " that i would need.
i mixed up my own salt water. " worked out great "
i baught a few items like some fake anniamies and a few rocks. little things.

i have 3 fish
1. four Stripped Damsel
2. Yellow Tailed Damsel
3. 2 stripped damsel/cloudy damsel

inexspiensive fish i though would be good for my first tank.

today i went and baught a " Medium size Fiji " rock ( to help "Jump Start" the system )
and a small Spider crab to start cleaning up the left overs and help cycle my tank.

i also baught some of the " Biozyme " to help keep that " New tank syndrome " away.

my tank reading are pritty normal for a new tank , i think i'm about half way through the cycle.

Ph. 8.2
water temp. 76 F
Nitrate i think around 5 or 6 its not on the chart in my test kit....
nitrite. 0.2
saliticy. 1.023 it spikes sometimes to around 1.026 sometimes. i just add some distilled water to fix it.

ammonia. yesterday i noticed that the amonia was suddenly really high, reading .03, so i went and got two 5 gal. Ocean sea water from petco and did a 20% water change " 20% of my tank is 5gal. "

unfortunately i did another ammonia test today and its still reading 0.2

and thats about all i can think of right now.....

can any one kinda tell me if i'm doing what needs to be done????