Hello all

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Hello,
My family just got into tropical fish when we got my 10-year old a 55 gallon tank. Then our 12-year old bought herself a 10 gallon.

The only problem is, we discovered this site after we have already made a bunch of mistakes. We put too many fish in too early, not knowing how long the whole cycling thing took, we've been using chemicals to soften the water and bring the PH down, and we put a great big Juniper piece of driftwood in. We rinsed it with salt water, but that's all.

So, if we have any fish, it'll be pure luck and very hardy fish, but at least we know where we can learn what to do - hopefully ahead of time from now on.

This is a great site and we plan to learn as much as possible. My children may be browsing under my name from time to time, so if it seems like a child wrote something, it may be so.

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
I had fish when I was a kid, but I didn't know anything about cycling or ph, hardness, nitrate, or nitrite. I remember losing fish, having them jump out of the tank before I realized I needed a top, doing complete water changes with my fish in a kitchen mixing bowl, and not being able to keep sharks or angel fish. So, in short, we are beginners.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
At one point in our fish-keeping careers, we were all beginners :eek: Welcome to the tank! I used to use chemicals to lower my pH (8.4 from tap), but then stopped due to a shrimp-death disaster. Just keep doing water changes, and soon the chemicals should wear down a bit. Good luck and keep us posted!