Hello all.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
I'm new to this forum. I've been trying to find a place where I can read and talk about fish because most of my friends get bored listening to me. I currently have(which is stated in my signature) a 5 gallon tank with my betta(Billy), a few shrimp and a gold mystery snail. I also have a 10 gallon that has my other betta(Sylvio), shrimp and two blue mystery snails. I'm enjoying them all. I have another betta who's in a holding tank because I plan to purchase another tank for him.

I work at Petsmart, not sure how some of you feel about them, but I enjoy my job there greatly. It's where I bought my bettas and fell in love with them and fish in general. My brother has even given me the okay to set up a 55 gallon in his room. What a sweet guy, right?

Oh..one question..what does LFS stand for? I keep seeing that all over the forum but I can't seem to find out what it means.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
lol I had a feeling it was something obvious.

I work at the Petsmart in Glen Burnie, Maryland.

I don't buy my fish from here though, as shameful as that sounds since I work there. Mainly because they're never in the best of health. I'm scared to get my bettas sick. I already had a run in with Ich from some Neon Tetras I had purchased from there. I get my fish from a store called House of Tropicals. I'm currently trying to locate other fish stores so I can keep my options open.

Thanks for the welcome by the way.

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
hi!
i just got a gold mystery snail and i love him/her! i have him/her in a 50 gallon and man does he/she move around. much more than i thought a snail would. i would love a blue one. what do you feed yours?

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
So far they're just eating the algea off the side of the tank but I occasionally throw sinking pellets in along with these bloodworms that are in a gelled substance. Those are for the snails and my shrimp...but my betta seems to snag them too. He gets freeze dried along with betta pellets.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Hello and welcome to the tank*thumbsups Some people don't like the people working at those stores because they do it for the job and have little or nothing to do with fish/fish keeping. Also lfs = local fish store.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
lol I had a feeling it was something obvious.

I work at the Petsmart in Glen Burnie, Maryland.

I don't buy my fish from here though, as shameful as that sounds since I work there. Mainly because they're never in the best of health. I'm scared to get my bettas sick. I already had a run in with Ich from some Neon Tetras I had purchased from there. I get my fish from a store called House of Tropicals. I'm currently trying to locate other fish stores so I can keep my options open.

Thanks for the welcome by the way.

Ah, I live in silver spring, a lot closer to DC than Baltimore. There's a place called scales not to far from me that is a really nice fish warehouse. Aquarium Store, Freshwater, Saltwater-SCALES Tropical Fish Warehouse

Apr 29, 2009
I just got a albino oscer ( 1in.) and a Pacu (2.5 in.) they get along well , but friends tell me that soon my oscer will become more aggessive . I have them in a 20 gal. and have a very nice 55 gal. waiting in the wing .Have I made a bad choose by pair these two ? Are they ready to be introduced to the 55 gal. ?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I just got a albino oscer ( 1in.) and a Pacu (2.5 in.) they get along well , but friends tell me that soon my oscer will become more aggessive . I have them in a 20 gal. and have a very nice 55 gal. waiting in the wing .Have I made a bad choose by pair these two ? Are they ready to be introduced to the 55 gal. ?
Welcome to the tank..

Might as well get that 55 Cycling you will need it very soon, but 1 oscar really needs 55 for itself, the Pacu gets to big for even a 55, but you could probably keep him for a while then find him a new home. here a link to wikipedia about Pacu the info seems accurate.

Pacu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S. may want to start your own thread.

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Oh cool. I'll check them out. I'm willing to make the drive if it's far from my house. I just want to be able to have a few different stores that have a good diverse selection. Thanks for the heads up.:)
Yeah it's just down 95 and then take 198 all the way to it basically. They have about 5 aisle of fish that are at least 50 feet long. Largest selection I have seen. The only thing that I had a hard time finding there was a thermometer cause they were at the desk, haha. They really have everything besides some lighting items like Compact bulbs. Also they have plenty of plants and smart people to tell you what works with your situation.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I'm new to this forum. I've been trying to find a place where I can read and talk about fish because most of my friends get bored listening to me. I currently have(which is stated in my signature) a 5 gallon tank with my betta(Billy), a few shrimp and a gold mystery snail. I also have a 10 gallon that has my other betta(Sylvio), shrimp and two blue mystery snails. I'm enjoying them all. I have another betta who's in a holding tank because I plan to purchase another tank for him.

I work at Petsmart, not sure how some of you feel about them, but I enjoy my job there greatly. It's where I bought my bettas and fell in love with them and fish in general. My brother has even given me the okay to set up a 55 gallon in his room. What a sweet guy, right?

Oh..one question..what does LFS stand for? I keep seeing that all over the forum but I can't seem to find out what it means.

Haha Thats why I 'm here.
I don't claim to know everything but at least there is a site where we can share and obtain info from other fishkeepers.
So naturally I wanted to say hi and welcome.

Also, I have nothing bad to say about pet store employees. Sure most employees dish out instructions or bad advice to people... but when there are people like you who are dedicated to fish and their health, well (I) can't complain about that. In fact, I'd like to work there. (But I have a pool job) *BOUNCINGS

Furthermore, its not the employees fault they get crazy questions. Its the buyer's job to research, right?
I mean... we don't badger the people selling cats and dogs and demand info on species care etc. No. We have to research.

Anyways, there is a lot to read here and from what I can tell there are a lot of knowledgable people.
Since lfs was defined already I just want to add that if you see lps that is local petstore and there are a lot of other abbreviations which there is a link to a thread in the beginners forum that clarifies their meanings. Maybe that will help in the future : )