hello everyone!

arash

New Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Hello everyone, I'm new obviously:D . I just got my first tank about 2 months ago and I thought this site would be nice to have as a tool along with everything else. I hope we can get to know each other more in time. Nice to meet all of you!

arash

New Fish
Oct 28, 2006
newbee and I love it!

Thanks for the welcome! I have a 20 gallon tank. We started with 4 barbs and a plecostomus (is that how you spell it?). Our plecostomus died after about 2 weeks but the rest are doing very well. We have had some problems with high ammonia. My test has always shown it at least 1 ppm but today I was able to talk to my helper at the fish store and we decided to put some live algea in the tank. While trying to get the ammonia down, I would do a water change and then add aqua plus then ammo lock to protect the fish. We think the ammo lock is keeping the ammonia to high. I want to add more fish but I don't want to kill them. So I have just started the new algea to try to combat the problem. Lets cross our fingers and hope that it works finally. The barbs (2 green and 2 tiger) are doing great. I can't wait to add more to the family. I am also planning on adding a live plant soon. Tell me more about yourselves. I'm glad to see a place where others are so into what I am right now. Thanks for any help you give!*BOUNCINGS

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Apart from water changes seachem Stability New Tank Stabilization System is a good way to get rid of ammonia (not that i recommend that over waterchanges)
I was recommeneded this by my LFS and its really good and lasts ages

arash

New Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks!

Thanks for your input. You all know what youre doing and I'm happy to know youre there. I will let you know how this goes. I also would like to chat sometime. It's good to talk to someone about any questions I have. Also to get to know you too. Talk to you soon. ;)

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Basically it isnt wise to use any chemicals in your tank (other then clorine/chlormaine remover of course) most chemicals are a waste of time and money and do meerly nothing other than prolong your cycle.

Most LFS are inexperienced or just want to make a quick dollar so yes they will recommend this miracle chemical and that "new" product thats just gonna cycle your tank in 2 hours. DON't listen to them.

You need to learn about the cycling process of a tank. As you have already added fish to your tank before it was cycled (WHICH MOST OF US DID WHEN WE FIRST STARTED including myself), you will need to do frequent test AND frequent water changes to combat your ammonia and nitrite levels as they grow until your tank has cycled.

I like this thread for more information for you. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...explain-cycling.html?highlight=nitrogen+cycle

Adding more fish at this time would not be wised, once again you need to wait till your tank is cycled.

The best thing you did was to go looking for information on here. We all have had experience, both good and bad, in this hobby, and you can learn from the mistakes that we have made lol.

Good luck with your tank. and PLEASE don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how "dumb" you may think they are.

Btw what kind of test kit do you have. The most recommended and most accurate is the LIQUID drop test, made by API (aquarium pharmaceuticals inc.) the strip test are not as accurate. Api's Test kit also gives more test for the money, therefore being more economical, with your first tank and just starting out you are gonna be doing a LOT of test. just keep that in mind

EDIT: I just re-read your first post, you say you have had the tank running for 2 months? It should have been cycled by now (even by accident haha), so if your having ammonia spikes now (your 1ppm = a spike) then you need to find out why, are you over feeding and leaving the left over food to decay? is thier a dead fish in there maybe? and dead rotting plants? if you cleaned the filter how did you clean it? (a filter sponge/pad should only be cleaned in USED tank water and NOT in fresh untreated tap water)

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Welcome to MFT! :)

On your ammonia woes, what kind of test kit are you using and have you tested for nitrites or nitrates? Some test kits will register a false positive of ammonia after using products like ammolock. Personally I would stop using everything except dechlorinator/water conditioner and do your usual water changes and see if everything levels out. After two months your tank may not be completely cycled, but unless you're cleaning your filter out all the time or doing something to set it back, it should be past the ammonia stage and that should be holding at 0.

arash

New Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Hey there everyone.......I am replying to Fishluvr...you only clean your filter with tank water? How to and thanks for all the info. I have 4 barbs which are all ok, I had a plecostomus the first week but he died and the rest are ok so its been about 2 months since then. The ammonia is always at 1ppm... I am trying desperatley to get the ammonia down.....I am adding nitromax now at the advice of my fish counselor.........thankyou for your welcomes and I hope to get more advice and hear more from you soon.......