Hello from Pittsburgh!

Dec 11, 2006
Been lurking for a while, figured it's time to introduce myself.

We have a 180 Gal freshwater setup, Looking to grow some big ones again. Right now everyone's small, but eating well, will keep everyone updated on any excitement in our Zoo. I'll post some tank Picts soon.

About a Year and a half ago, we had a bad disease ravage our tank, wiped out everything we had. We had (and lost) a 24+ inch Tiger Shovel, 2 20+ inch Clown Knives, Big Albino Oscar, BIG Chanel Cat, Etc, Etc. I guess that's the risks associated w/ live feeders (we were dipping feeders in Formaldahide, but something nasty got through).

Finally getting the time & money to start over again.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
hmm welcome to MFT. your tank may be a bit overcrowded when they reach adult size. some of those fish arnt made for the home aquarium.
and with the live feeder thing, goldifhs dont hold hardly any nutrition so you shouldnt even bother feeding them. and you should also cultivate your own live food. get a 10g tank and pink up a male a few females and the fry will grow up fast and be a good food source for your fish. :)

Dec 11, 2006
Thank you all.

Yeah, I know all too well about how large (and hungry) some of these can be. Fortunately, our tank is on the large size (180 Gal) and if they outgrow that, I have access to a 450 gal at my brother's office.

When it comes to feeding live, it is just about the only way with appetites this large. (and goldfish can be a good food source As long as you are sure to gut-load them before feeding). We tried to grow our own feeders but supply could never keep up with demand.

As for the losses we suffered, yes, can be quite painful when it comes to fish that you have been raising for 5-7 years (and have seen grow from about 3" to 20-something inches long).

Anyhow, Thank you all for such a great place to hang out & discuss our tanks...I'll try to upload some Pix in the next couple of days.