Hello, I am new

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Hello Everyone.

I am a newcomer and hope to learn much from this page. The members here seem to be very kind. I have had unhappy experiences in the past and hope to not have the same thing happen here.

Anyway, I would like any information that can be given to me on Blue Paradise Gouramis and Upside down catfish. Like telling apart sexes and how to successfully breed these fish if I ever decide too. Any advice will be appreaciated. Thanks,

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
welcome, i'm not sure what you mean by blue paradise gourami, as it seems as though you've combined a few fish names into one :p

does the fish your talking about look anything like any of these fish here

blue gourami

dwarf gourami

paradise fish

Last edited:

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Sorry phOOey.

I do mean the Blue Paradise Fish, but they are closely related to the gouramis and Blue Paradise Gouramis is what some pet stores call them. So I put that name so hopefully you would know what I ment. Oh well. Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I'm feeling good about this site so far. *SUNSMILE*

DEADLIFT

Medium Fish
Sep 30, 2005
UK, West Mids
Cool good to see your getting back inti it like me. Are you thinking about getting these fish or do you have them now? I cant tell from what you've said.

Just worry about looking after them for now, breeding is a whole new ball game!!!

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
phOOey said:
well thats a very nice fish, and not as common as some of the other labyrinth fish. i dont know much about them, but i expect there much like bettas, so you'd have to choose his tank mates carefully, what size tank have you got?

in the mean time heres a good site thats got personal accounts of the paradise fish.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_macropodus.php
I have a 40 gallon Stretch Hex tank and he seems to be pretty happy. His tank mates are listed below. When I first got him he picked on the Goldfish a bit, but now he knows he's the boss and doesn't bother anyone. Thanks for your adivce though.

To answer Deadlift

Yes I have these fish already. Infact the picture you see to the side is my powder blue gourami, Spike.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi Nobody. I am not an expert either but have been doing this for a little over one year. Your tank sounds really nice. You may want have your own "goldfish" tank as I understand Goldfish should be kept only with goldfish. It is recommended that goldfish not be mixed with other freshwater fish. This piece of advice I received from my brother who has been an aquarist for about 20 years. We all know goldfish are "dirty" fish so it's best to keep them together since they have so much waste. I believe it has do with the increase in "ammonia". I have also heard that balah sharks can get pretty big so you may need a bigger tank than 40 gal hex. My nephew has a red tail shark which should not get bigger than five inches. I have been told by this forum that he should be in a least a 50 gal tank because they are so territorial. Needless to say probably some time next year, I will be getting a 50 gal tank. Take care. :)

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Yeah, someday I'll probably get a tank for just goldfish, but right now I need to save money and he's okay. No problems with keeping the tank clean or with having him in a heated tank. He seems pretty happy. :cool: I am thinking on getting rid of my pleco though because he creates a lot of waste as well and plecos can get pretty big and lazy in their cleaning.

I have a well experienced fish keeper too. :D He's my dad, but I try searching the web sometimes because even the most experienced fish keeper doesn't know everything. ;) My Dad's also go red-tailed sharks and I don't like them because they're bullies. At first my Dad had the Goldfish and the smallest red-tail almost ate the Goldfish's entire tail, which has healed since then. He's also had balah sharks and said they should do well in my 40 gal stretch hex tank. Thanks for your advice though.*thumbsups

Last edited:

fishguy07

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2004
Bangor MI
Visit site
Them Bala's may get a little too big for that 40 gallon. I dont wanna tell you to get rid of them but those fish can get up to 13 inches long and prefer to have lots of swimming room as well, seeing as they are normally schooling fish

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
everything seems ok in that tank, but as fishguy said, those balas are gonna get too big eventually, so either trade them in before you get too attached, or make plans to eventually upgrade to something like a 75g.

i'd just make sure your paradise fish doesnt get aggressive towards those two dwarf gouramis aswell.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I thank you guys for your concern. Someday I hope I can possibly get a bigger tank, but right now this is the best my money can do. :rolleyes: My Dad's balahs have grown to about that size in his 45 gal tank though and they have had enough space (I know his tank is different than mine). Thanks again though. *BOUNCINGS

My gouramis should be fine. I've had them for a little over a month now and the paradise fish doesn't mind them. The gouramis continuely show off to each other, but so far there's no fighting. Like I've said, Duke (my paradise fish) knows he's the boss. *BOUNCINGS

Last edited: