Hello, New here and have a ques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2006
Hey, im new here, Just love all the info on this site

I have a 30gal tank. Has 2 angels, 1 blue gourami and a albino ruby shark. Whats all the possible tank mates that i could add to my tank, im thinking of serpae tetra or some platies. Any ideas? im looking to getting the maximum fish quota in my tank. All your help and ideas would be appreciated.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Serpae tetras are reportedly very nippy, I'm not sure how well your angels' fins would do with them. Then again, they might be fine in a big enough school, so they pick on each other rather than the other fish. One of the less nippy tetras might be a better choice, but the size of your angels might determine how small/passive of a tetra you can get. Platies would definitely get along. Your current fish should keep the platies from overpopulating the tank... I doubt you'd ever see any babies.

I've got cherry barbs in with angels and a gourami, and they are fine in there, nice and active little fish. Another suggestion is rainbowfish. They would look nice in there, and add some color and activity.

Is it a 30 long (as opposed to like a 29, which is more tall)? If it is, you've got enough bottom area for another tough bottomfeeder, like one of the smaller plecos. I'm not sure if the shark would like cories or loaches, but a pleco should be able to stand up for himself.

Jan 18, 2006
Yea, I have a bushy nose pleco. My shark sometimes chases my angels, im worried about it chasing other fish like the platies i want. How about another blue gourami or sumthing? Im not sure what else can go with my fish

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Gouramis tend to fight with one another, unless you can get 2 females (and even then they sometimes fight...). How big is the shark? If it chases the angels, I take back my statement about platies definitely being fine in there. They might be fine, they might get chased. Rainbows would still work, the larger ones at least. If you got a good bunch of them (at least 6), you should be okay with tiger barbs. Hm, unless your angels are the veil tail type, that might be too tempting...

Edit: or a school of giant danios? They can certainly hold their own with semi-aggressive fish (like the shark/angels), and I'm pretty sure they're not real fin nippers if you have them in a school.

Jan 18, 2006
My angels are marbles, and my shark is about 4 inches. I guess its not really chasing, it goes up to an angel and goes towards it, the angel runs and he goes the other way. Im looking for medium sized fish, the same size as my gourami (4 inches) Angels(2/12 inches). Anymore ideas?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sorry...but I think your tank is pretty heavily stocked as is. You have a bushynose pleco, a ruby shark, two angels and a gourami in there right? I'd think in order to have room for another type of fish you're going to need to make some room by letting go of one or more of the fish you already have. All of the ones you have (except the pleco) are pretty territorial, relatively big attitudes and get to a fair size. Anyway, if it were my tank I dont think I'd want to add anything.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I agree with Froggy, the 29 is maxed out because of what is in there, none of those fish in the 29 would work in the 10, either. Those two angels could eventually cause all sorts of trouble also, unfortunately, if they either pair up or take exception to each other, both of which are very common with angels. If either of those things happen, your tank will appear very small.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Matt - registering under a different name and coming back after you've been banned from the site is not going to be tolerated.

By the way...asking the same questions in a different name is not going to get you a different answer around here.

- MFT Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.