Hello! New person here

Jul 16, 2013
Georgia
Thought I would introduce myself to the forum. I have just recently been able to return to the fish keeping hobby! I am waiting now on my first new tank. I purchased a Fluval spec V (very limited space) and am excited after reading reviews and watching some youtube videos on some set ups. I do have one Betta in a 1 1/2 gallon bowl but that's it. I would love some suggestions on the setup, i am thinking plants drift wood and a few neon tetras? but some ideas would be great!!! thanks

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome!

Those series Fluval tanks are neat little buggers. Only problem is you're limited in what you can put in them, although there are some cool micro fish out there. 5 neons would look great in there once you get the tank cycled w/ stable parameters.

Jul 16, 2013
Georgia
FreshyFish, that's what i was thinking. I am fine with the limits of a smaller tank right now. I am limited on what i can have at this point. just need to have something LOL! I have seen some youtube stuff on using dirt then gravel on top and planting easy/low light plants. then some driftwood ! that's the plan right now anyway!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Sounds like a plan. Many in the hobby like using soil as the entire substrate or part of it. I guess depending on your setup. Some love it, some not. Same goes with sand. Depends on the setup and what plants you want to grow (if they are heavy root feeders or not).

Feb 18, 2013
It is a nice looking little tank, you could also go the route of java moss, and shrimp, they are reasonably active, won't bother your betta, and are generally less sensitive than neon's to water conditions. Red Cherry, and bamboo would help keep the water column clean, and you could probably still add a few neon's in time too.

DuctTape

Small Fish
Jul 25, 2013
Iowa
I have a 30 gallon tank that I use dirt on covered by a layer of gravel, and I am one of those people who loves it! It took some time to get the water clear but it was worth it, the plants love it. Best of luck!