Hello ! Newbie here ! Newbie alert. ha ha

Dec 1, 2007
I read this article and have a couple questions. I will also post the location just in case.
Silica Sand/Aragonite Mix in a Reef? - 10/10/06
Hey.
<<Hey>>
I wanted to get your opinion on using play box sand for a reef tank.
<<Is doable>>
I have done a lot of reading on this and have gotten contradicting opinions, as with many issues in this hobby.
<<Indeed>>
I found sand called Kolorscape which is distributed by Oldcastle (same company that once distributed the famous but impossible to find Southdown).
<<I've heard some about this sand before...supposedly aragonite based>>
This sand is supposedly mined in a different area and is not purely aragonite.
<<Easy enough to test>>
From my understanding the sand passes the "vinegar test" but not all of the sand dissolves meaning it's mixed with at least some silica type sand.
<<Hmm, maybe so...still...better than "all" silica. Not that using silica sand is necessarily bad, it just doesn't offer any buffer capacity/earth elements to the system>>
It also clearly states on the bag that it may contain silica.
<<Ah, I see...>>
Is this really that big of a deal?
<<Not in my opinion>>
I read that silica sand is inert and won't release anything into the water.
<<I don't think that is entirely true, but I think the concern for silica sand to foster huge diatom blooms or other maladies in our marine tanks is mostly overrated...and even less of an issue in the case of this "mixed" sand. I've used 100-percent silica sand in a couple marine systems over the years and can't attribute any deleterious effects to the use of the sand>>
The source stated that it's only a rumor that won't die.
<<As with so many of them>>
In your opinion/experience have you found this to be true?
<<As stated>>
Should I spend the big bucks for aquarium sand or take a chance and save a bundle?
<<Considering the Kolorscape does contain aragonite...I would use it>>
I have read forums where people stated that they used Kolorscape and loved it, but the opinion was based on only a few months of use. Any thoughts?
<<Perhaps you will let us know/write a piece on its performance>>
By the way, I already have aragonite that will be used for the deep sand bed in the refugium so buffering won't be an issue.
<<Likely wouldn't anyway...but very good>>
I want to use the Kolorscape as a 1/2 inch deep sand in the display
and am only concerned about the safety/silica issues.
MarSubstSel3

I1. s it better to have argonite sand?
2. How do you test to see if it's argonite?
3. Is it true - if you put vinegar in the sand and it bubbles it is safe to use in your aquarium and you don't have to worry about anything else. (from another forum)
4. Does it matter if the sand you use contains silica?
5. Are maladies diseases? Do you think you need to get argonite so you won't get this?

The only thing I know about sand is live, and not live and how to seed it. I'm pretty sure I either want white sand or Indo-Pacific Black (click on "arig-alive" to see the indo pacific black if you want) 6. I need advice and information about what to look out for when buying sand and if I choose to buy white sand what kinds are bad 7. or can I just buy any ol white sand and just seed it with my rock? Thanks.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :) I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. I believe so. It provides buffering to your tank, and has no sharp edges for bottom dwelling fish.
2. If you want aragonite sand, buy one that says it's aragonite. Most sand that doesn't specifically say it's aragonite will be something else. I believe aragonite will dissolve in vinegar.
3. It might cause algae problems. Silica sand can be sharp.
5. Maladies can be diseases or other problems in a tank, for example algae.
6. Most people go for a fine aragonite.
7. You can seed sand with live rock. You don't really need to buy live sand in a bag (which isn't really live, according to most people).

I went for a mix of oolitic aragonite and pink Fiji sand. IMO, it's not worth taking the risk (as a newbie) to go for an "experimental" sand and never knowing if it's the cause of a problem or not. While it may not cause problems to get non-reef sand, I'm not sure it's worth the money saved to take the risk.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I believe that Lotus answered most of your questions so I will offer an opinion instead.

If you really only want to have a very shallow bed in your display why not go with the most natural sand for a reef which is the carib sea reef sand or a fine oolite. The expense isn't going to break the bank as it is only for a small amount of sand. If you are going with a deep sand bed in the display and will have sandsifting livestock such as gobies and such again Iwould recommend the reef sand or oolite as it has the sharp edges worn down by constant water movement in the ocean. It is the most natural and will contribute to stabilizing your ph of your water.....Why buy trouble....

Dec 1, 2007
Such great information. Thank you ! I will look those sands up....in the meantime.... what do you think about these sands? Please respond. Thanks
That's werid. It didn't put the website address on the post like I had it set up to do. Here it is again. Attempt 2: 30LB NATURAL WHITE FIJI LIVE SAND + REFUGIUM KIT - (eBay item 250194331151 end time Dec-12-07 10:15:32 PST)
and caribsea your aragonite source and more! (I'm pretty sure I either want white sand or Indo-Pacific Black (click on "arig-alive" to see the indo pacific black if you want))

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I wouldn't go with that deal as it really isn't any cheaper than you can buy Carib-Sea for and those are NOT the nassarius snails you want in your reef....you want nassarius vibex. I agree with Kahluzza go with the white it looks more natural and your coral will stand out more than against the dark

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Such great information. Thank you ! I will look those sands up....in the meantime.... what do you think about these sands? Please respond. Thanks
That's werid. It didn't put the website address on the post like I had it set up to do. Here it is again. Attempt 2: 30LB NATURAL WHITE FIJI LIVE SAND + REFUGIUM KIT - (eBay item 250194331151 end time Dec-12-07 10:15:32 PST)
and caribsea your aragonite source and more! (I'm pretty sure I either want white sand or Indo-Pacific Black (click on "arig-alive" to see the indo pacific black if you want))

DO NOT buy that Sand from the ebay guy called fijiman . I did and its WET PLAYSAND . I put some in whit vinager and noting no bubbles foam nothing .

p.s. the fiji rubble is dead base rock and you get a golfball patch of chaeto .

GAINT RIP OFF .iam in the proccess of getting the stuff out and buying a bag a fiji pink reef sand from the secong source there .