hello

Nov 7, 2005
I am new to this website and new to the world of tropical fish. I have a 29 gallon tank which is currently cycling, and all is well so far. During this time I have been considering stocking options and have a general plan of what I would like to do. What I would like to know is if my plan will work. I want to start with a school of six gold barbs. Later add a school of 4 corries and finally a pair of dwarf neon gourami(male and female). Perhaps also adding 4 Harlequin Rasbora if there is room. I already have two large "pirate ship" halves that have losts of openings for hiding, and several plastic plants, and two live plants. Thank you.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Welcome Tigers. I'd say that your stocking sounds pretty good...although if I were you I think i'd only get one gourami and get a larger school of harlequins, they're a lot of fun but do better in larger groups...as well its hard to find a pair of gouramis that actually gets along and you dont want them wreaking havoc on your tank since its not really big enough for two gouramis who dont get along. I think thats also stocking relatively lightly, so you would probably have plenty of room for some shrimp and maybe a couple of ottos (otocinclus) and an apple snail if you feel like adding some other interesting critters to the tank as some finishing touches. (usually otos and shrimp dont do so well in tanks that aren't pretty well established)

Good luck!

Nov 7, 2005
FroggyFox, you have hit on a couple of areas I hadn't thought about. The apple snail, ottos and shrimp sound like very good ideas, though I have to admit I know nothing about them. Research time! Thanks for the suggestions.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the tank!

If your doing a 'fishless cycle'... then aftwards you should add all your fish at once if you can.

If you only add a few fish at a time, your going to need to mini-cycle your tank a week or two in-between adding fish.

Have fun!