Hello

Jan 20, 2006
St. Charles, MO
Hi I'm a newbie and everything that I've done so far has been wrong. I haven't killed any fish yet thank god but I don't want to either. We just got over fin rot and pop eye and I'm so depressed that I had to get rid of everything that I had except for a few. I hope that I can get better advice here than I have anywhere else here in town. So any advice is welcome here in my time of need.

Last edited:

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Aww Im sorry you have had such a bad experience thus far, HOWEVER, you have come to the right place!! Lots of nice ppl on this forum willing to take the time to give informed advice backed by years of personal experience! GOOD LUCK!!! andddd welcome aboard!!!

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I hear ya, fishkeeping can be spendy but I think alot of expense can be avoided just by arming yourself with knowledge...start reading the stickies especially in the general freshwater fish keeping area of MFT about starting new tanks, what to watch out for so there is LESS likely chances for disaster! It is true what they say, "Knowledge is Power" read, read, read, and read somemore!!

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
what size tank do you have and is it freshwater or salt? When i first started keeping fish i had lots and lots of bettas, around 20 or so, i kept them all in 1 gallon pickle jars( washed cleaned and all that) and then i moved to a 30 gallon tank then for my 16th birthday i got a 55 gallon and i have been using that ever since, i have had my big tank for almost 6 years now and it has been through alot, even a 3000 mile move, anyhow my point was start out small and work your way up so you get the feel for fish keeping, and dont look at it as work, just have fun with it. I know i did.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
hehe welcome to MFT :) i think we've all had some rocky experiences when we began fish-keeping. like TLM said, check out all the stickies first, then you can start asking more specific questions. just don't give up because you've been through fin rot and popeye. once you learn what you're doing 'wrong', i think you'll find that fishkeeping is extremely enjoyable and rewarding. if you take care of them, they will take care of you! :)