Hello

Jul 13, 2007
California
I have been wondering about sand as well, I have read that oscars like sand and big rocks. How do you clean the sand, my vaccuum surely wouldn't help as it would just take the sand out. Do you just change it often or what?

one fish called

one eater lol *BOUNCINGS
tank seems to be settling down but still cloudy,someone suggested I shouldve cleaned the sand first but how do you clean sand ?? :confused:
wouldve thought it would wash away with the water :eek:
dont think it needed washing as have used play sand as I read somewhere its no different than pet shop sand,and its only £2.50 bag at argos *BOUNCINGS
thanks for the welcomes and hope when I expand my tank youll all be able to help further if I need it thanks guys and girls of course *laughingc

MemnochsKat;I once bought a blue lobster but it kept escaping and can only presume it was via a little hole where my wires came out of the lid,how it did it I dont know as its only a small vent !!
it did it several times as did some little red crabs I once bought which was ob how they got out as they were tiny but still to this day dont know how larry the lobster as we named him escaped!
sold him back to the petshop in the end,just thought Id best warn you before hand lol as theyre not the easiest thing to catch,not when ur squeamish like me lol

dianne

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
MemnochsKat;I once bought a blue lobster but it kept escaping and can only presume it was via a little hole where my wires came out of the lid,how it did it I dont know as its only a small vent !!
it did it several times as did some little red crabs I once bought which was ob how they got out as they were tiny but still to this day dont know how larry the lobster as we named him escaped!
sold him back to the petshop in the end,just thought Id best warn you before hand lol as theyre not the easiest thing to catch,not when ur squeamish like me lol

dianne
ROFL! Jewel hasn't tried to escape as of yet, but I'll keep an eye on her. I've heard they love to play escape artist.

P.S. You can wash sand by putting it in a large bucket and stirring it around. Pour off excess water and repeat several times until water doesn't look as cloudy. However, it should be fine that you didn't rinse yours. It will just take a little longer to clear up.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Welcome to mft!

Check out the sand FAQ...I believe its in the stickies at the top of the beginner forum? If you didn't wash the sand then you're going to need to do some serious water changes. I'd suggest making sure any filter you have is OFF otherwise it is just going to get all kinds of sand in it. I'd let the tank settle for a minute or two and then empty ALL the water out. Refill an inch or two above the sand line and swish the sand around really well, let it settle again for a little while and then suck as much out as you can. Continue to do this until you don't see a lot of sand that isn't settling quickly (within 30 seconds or so) You do wash a lot of the sand away, but in the end at least you're able to see the fish ;)

There are also tips about cleaning with sand in the faq I believe. You use the same vacuum and hover over the top of the sand, not going into it like you do with gravel as things stay on top of the sand instead of settling between it like gravel.

no hard work for me

*celebrate Ive taken advice and just left it to my filter to do its job and within 3 days all is clear,and if Id joined here first and looked up advice first then I wouldve done it properly but I joined as a result of googling for help regard sand and got brought straight to this welcome page :(
but anyways thanks for the advice and am just glad with time my tank did settle down and clear as suggested by others *twirlysmi