help a teacher out!

stanli

New Fish
May 16, 2009
I plan on setting up a 55g freshwater tank in my classroom to teach several of our science standards and am curious about filters and lighting.

First, is it worth the $30 to upgrade from the Penguin 350 to the Emperor 400? Will I need extra power heads for proper circulation/filtration?

I have a Hamilton light fixture with a 175w Metal halide and two 96w PC's, I was thinking of bastardizing the Pc's out and using them for the lighting, which if i'm right will give me about 3.5 wpg. Is this a good idea for a heavily planted cichlid river system tank?

I'm still 3 months away from doing this so recommendations & suggestions are more than welcome.

For the planted part, check out post #17 on this thread http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/aquatic-plants/56431-plant-system-55g.html

I'm getting ready to fully plant my 55g and that's what I have. I'm also getting a canister filter to replace the Penguin 350 that I have right now. I'm assuming the tank isn't up yet, so definitely read around to make sure you want to spend that much on a planted tank. Of course, you might be able to go cheaper, but it's a good estimate.

If you do plan to go with a HOB filter like the Penguin 350, it's a little hard to get good circulation going. I had to install an air pump with an air stone and bubble wand to get the water moving at the other side of the tank. Due to the brace in the middle of the 55g, I couldn't put the filter in the middle and have it on the left side. There's a thread somewhere in the "Rate my tank" forum that's for "Kissy's 55g." Check out the newest pics and you'll see what I mean.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
If you do plan to go with a HOB filter like the Penguin 350, it's a little hard to get good circulation going.
I put a down tube with a right angle elbow on the pickup tube of the filter in my 40 gallon tank. So the water dumps straight down and the pickup is near the other end. (the tank is 48 inches long) Seems to work good.