help algae goin nuts!!

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
Since i put those MH lights in my tank the algae is goin nuts!!! I have to wait a week or so to get my sump goin, to lower the nitrates so that the algae wont grow. i believe its hair algae and its growing exponentially. i have a uv sterilizer i though that this should help kill any waterborne algae. So i this algae thats always been there and is now goin nuts cuz of the lights or is it new algae? is there any quick fixes to slow the algae till i can get the sump goin? whats a good fish that eats algae but not corals? should i use my flourescent light till i get the nitrates down.? True that the nitrates are feeding this algae? I did a 16 gallon water change 2 days ago, but my water is evaporatting so fast im not sure it helped??? any help would be great i am obviously trying to stop this from getting outta control!!

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
k ill turn the light to a shorter cycle. But im gonna have to get rid of the nitrates to get rid of the algaae right?(no matter what my light cycle).... iknow iknow rookie!!! but i wanna get it right.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
I wish ALGEA would just die.. actully mine is doing better now that i cut my light cycle or time down to half, lol. I had a big time gree and thick hair algea prob. but it is starting to get better so definitly try less LIGHT time. *PEACE!*

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What are you going to put in your sump? If you put bioballs in it won't do anything except raise your nitrates, if you put in macroalgae and light it you're going to get rid of the problem by growing algae in a place you decide.

A UV will do nothing for your algae.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey Jammerz..i know your pain ;) ...i tough that hair algaes were going to be there forever. They eventually disappear like magic. No trace of it. Not even small chunks..if your params are right. When i switched to RO/DI in 2 weeks they were gone. Cyanobacteria too.
Well last week i refilled evaporated water with ro only, not di, and i had a little cyano patch + little hair algae. I messed up params 'cause my water has phos. Anyways..i'm a newbie who just resolved this probs with the help of experienced members ..here.