HELP ALGAE PROBLEM

Dec 25, 2006
I have a 55 gallon. And i see a starting growth of algae..... Do i just wipe them off? Any suggestions? Its not that bad but i think it will grow nasty.....

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Unless you already have fish that munch on algae, I'd wipe it off as soon as you see it. There are some algae's that are toxic to the water so you'll want to identify it. Different algaes are caused by different reasons, (ie: natural sunlight, poor water quality, etc.) Let us know what type it is and we can tell you how to prevent it in the future.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
brown if easliy wiped off is diatoms... natural and will go away on own or with help of otos. Green could be many types of algae, need description or picture of green algae so we can break it down to what type of green algae there is profile on MFT for algae that might help diagnosis if you need assistance.

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
If it has been more than 10 days since a partial water change, do one. Wait 3-4 days and do another one. Review your lighting type and length of time that it is on during each day. Amano (algae eating) shrimp seem to be a great help in my planted tank.

Jan 15, 2007
Lakeland, FL
The green algae could be any type of common algae. However there are a few questions for you. How long do you leave your light on everyday and how far away is your tank away from the nearest window? Your tank should be at least 3 feet away from any window. With a common full spectrum light you should only burn the light for 8-10 hours a day with the normal community tank.