Help! Ammonia doesn't drop

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
I have been trying to recycle my new tank, yesterday was the 9th day. However , the ammonia is still 4-5.Why hasn't it started to drop yet? However, nitrite has already gone to 50. Could it be because my filter is second hand? How do I know if the filter is working well, or should buy a new one??

Last edited:

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Aslong as water is passing through the filter I wouldn't worry,unless it's too small for your tank.If you have fish in there do a water change,if not just leave it to work.9 days isn't enough time for a full cycle.You need 2-3 weeks minimum.
What size is your tank and the filter?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
well it looks like the cycle is going because you have nitrites (alot of them). The ammonia should come down soon on its own (part of the cycle), then the nitrites will gradually go down to 0, and then all you will have is nitrates that are taken care of by water changes.

Are you doing a fishless cycle or are there fish in the tank?

O yea what size tank do you have (and what is the size of the filter?)

bfish

Medium Fish
Jul 23, 2005
el cajon california
Are you using filter media that is specifically for ammonia. Carbon does not work on ammonia. A product I use for that is ammo-rid. It is black carbon mixed with the whitesh yellowish pebbles. I have not had problems ever since using this.

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
Many thanks for your replies! I am sooo confused which is nitrate/nitrite.....I THINK am talking about nitrate...today my ammonia has dropped to 3,5,yippee, and nitrate is about 75, but no nitrites yet...???Why, oh why?? But I quess it's good news ammonia has finally stopped to drop, but am wondering if something is wrong, as it's taking extremely long. I haven't added any ammonia to my tank since day 1, and it's only just started dropping..Am doing a fishless cycle. Want to get eels later on :)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
well it can take 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. You typically add ammonia in small amounts everyday until the ammonia reading tops out on the charts when doing fishless, after 4-5 days. At least thats the way it was described in the articles I have read. No biggy though. You just overloaded the system a little, but it will catch up. Your ammonia is going down and your nitrites should be next to go up. Nitrite is the by product of when nitrifying bacteria consumes the ammonia. So that part is a bit interesting. Make sure you have a good test kit. Be patient, it will happen, but if your ammonia goes to zero and there are no fish in the tank, you will need to add more or the bacteria will starve.

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
It's been 2 weeks today. Not much improvement . Here are the readings: Ammonia 3,5 ( I haven't added any ammonia since I started 2 weeks ago, when I put ammonia 5+) Here is the other readings: PH 8,4+, KH 20, GH 16+, No3 at 50 and not any No2. Nothing is happening... Do I change the water and start again??? Oh yes, I have a Fluval 4 (A-315) underwater filter.
Bfish, what do you mean by filter media that's specially for ammonia? What kinda filter media is that? Sorry for my stupidity, am a complete newbie to this!! Thanks in advance for your replies :)

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
you don't want to use amo-rid while you're cycling. your perameters will take care of themselves. trust us, and be patient! may take 2-4 more weeks until you're cycled.

i don't suggest using any chemicals besides a dechlorinator. ammonia can be kept under control after cycling by keeping feedings to a minimum and doing consistant water changes.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi SherriSixxx and welcome to the tank!

Something is out of wack with the readings you are getting, so lets break it down a little.

First, please reply and tell use your tank size (gallons) or dimensions if you don't know.

OK, if your doing a fishless cycle my BEST guess is that you added way too much ammonia at the beginning. Its a common mistake, and would certainly drag-out (even impare) the cycling proces.

So, yes, do a larger (75%) water change and re-add enough ammonia to bring the levels back up to 5ppm. Use an eye-dropper to add ammonia and test every 5 minutes to let the water mix it properly.

Another thing I would consider is the age of your test kits. If you did not buy them new, its probably a good indication they are expired and no longer accurate and need to be replaced.

The good new is that any nitrobacter that you already have 'grown' will still be there after the water change, just don't let your filter material dry-out during the water change. So it should take less time to finish the cycle.

Watch your pH levels, if they start to get too high, do another water change. Some b ottled ammonia products break-down into compounds that can affect your pH and slow-down the bacterial growth you need when cycling your tank.

Keep us posted.

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for your help! Yes, I propably did put too much ammonia to start with, so will do water change of approx 75%. I think my PH levels are a lot higher, as the test kit only goes to 8,4. My tank is big, I think approx 60 gallons. Measurements are:length 48 inches, width 15 Inches, and depth 16 Inches.
My test kits are brand new. I am sooo greatful for your help,really want to get this right, and have happy, healthy fish. And thanks for the welcome!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
SherriSixxx,

Well the good news is that a water change will really help your ammonia and pH issues. Also, your probably only about 2 weeks away from finishing your cycle, so hold-in a little longer.

60 gallons is a fairly big tank to cycle new, so give it 5 weeks overall before you worry about.

One last tip... set your heater to 84F (29C) till the cycle is finished. That temperature provides optimum bacterial growth.

A 60 gallon will give you a lot of options for species. What do you have in mind?

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
Great advice!! Soooo many thank you's!! I changed about 75% of the water. My ammonia was 0,25 after waterchange! So I added bit more to get 3, to continue the cycle. That was 3 days ago. My readings now are: pH 8,4. KH 15, GH 16, No2 at 7 and No3 at 150, and ammonia 1,5....I think I am finally making progress, thanks to all of you helpful guys!! I quess now I just wait and keep testing...???
Am gonna get 2-3 common eels (Anguilla Anguilla) when my tank is cycled fully. Does anybody know what kind of 'cleaner fish' I could have with them? It's not easy finding any, as the eels will 'gobble up' most other fish...

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
Hey,i t's me again. Thanks again for the replies. My ammonia been behaving perfectly. If I put enough in to make it 3, it will have dropped off to 0 or 0,25 by the next evening. This has been the case for nearly 2 weeks now, However my nitrate and nitrite are so high, they are well off the charts, so I can't tell how much they are. How long does it usually take for them to start dropping?
Sorry to sound bit silly and impatient, just curious to know when approximately I can finally get my fish. Should I do some water changes or just let the same water sit there til the cycle is complete?

If it makes any difference, I also have lots of algae. Mostly green, but some brown as well.

Many thanks again in advance :)