help asap!

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i was checking in on my betta cole for his afternoon feeding and his tail fin and fin on his back has big peices missing like they were bit out, he's also displaying horzonal lines like this ------ is their anything i can do to stop him from killing his beautiful tail and are the lines a bad thing to be displaying???

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
yes he's alone in the tank except for a snail , looks like the amm spiked 0.1 from the 0.0 yesterday , nitrites 0 and the nitrates are 5.2 temp is 80, just did a 25% water change when i seen the amm at 0.1.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Keep an eye on him. Some bettas start to bite their own tails. Also make sure none of the ornaments or plants in the tank have sharp edges. Plastic plants can be sharp enough to tear a betta's tail.

If it looks like chunks missing from his tail, it's most likely physical damage. If the tail is more frayed and is shrinking, then it's more likely tail rot.

Have a look at Welcome to bettatalk.com, the ultimate betta site for all betta lovers! health section to see what tail rot looks like.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
it does'nt look like fin rot, looks like he's been chewing it and i even caught him chanceing it like a dog earlier, it can't be his plants theirs a few sharp ones but they've been in their with him since his first tank.

he's kinda darting around some should i be worried??? ;_;

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
>.> i'll try to get some melafix tomarrow if i can if not he'll have to wait till the 1st, i'll keep up with water changes and keep his tank as clean as possible =3 till he starts and finishes regrowing his tail and uper back fin.