Help Attack Of The Bubbles!

Ok, I just recently set up my tank differently and I went about it all wrong I'm sure. I didn't gravel vac. I left the fish in... Etc... but i did! Change 50% of the water afterwards and rinsed all the new stuff with warm water. Now, I put in my bubble screen to top it all of but now there is a film of bubble on the surface of the water. Friends say it's surface tension, others said other things and I just really want to know how I can hook my bubbler back up successfully without it causing a my whole surface to be covered with bubbles. I've even changed out the old filter. I am lost and I don't know what to do. I put water purifier in to get rid of all the ammonia and nitrates or w/e and before I changed the set up the bubble screen worked fine. the difference is this time it's underneath the gravel instead of ontop. If someone can help me out with advice I'd really appreciate it. Thx

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

Sometimes dechlorinators or other similar additives, especially those that say they help the slime coat (like Stress Coat), can cause excess bubbles at the surface. It won't normally happen with a simple dechlorinator, unless you've added a lot.

It should stop happening after a water change or two.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Welcome to the tank! Sounds like you've got a good start...but time to do some reading! For one, your tankmates are NOT compatible. The dwarf puffers should not be kept in community settings as they have very special needs and may nip at your other fish. With all those fish, I hope you have at least a 29 gallon fish tank, if not, you're overstocked already.

Please take the time to read through the beginners guide linked in my signature below, it has some basic set up info you will find helpful. You really need to read up on "cycling a tank" and doing water changes properly. Plus, you need to give your local fish store a call (not a huge chain store) and see if they will pay you for the fish you need to return (i.e. the dwarf puffers and any excess fish you may realize you have after reading the guide below).