HELP BLOATED BETTA!

Mar 11, 2003
If he is noticably big in the tummy, he might have dropsy. Be on the look out for "pine cone"-ish scales and a big ole stomach. Unfortunately, if he does have dropsy, there is no cure. So add some aquarium salt to his tank and keep the water VERY clean.

Other possibilities: constipation. Don't feed him for a day, and after that thaw out a frozen pea and skin it. Then break it into bite sized pieces and feed it to him. Don't feed him the next day if he still looks bad. Make sure he is going to the bathroom, and like I said, look out for dropsy.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I dont know and would not risk it. Marine/Aquarium salt only. Bettas do not regulate their eating, they will eat as long as there is food present.

I suggest you not feed him for a full day (no cheating) and see if he improves. Reduce your feeding amount, there is never, ever a need to overfeed any fish. Brine shrip (live or frozen), is a pretty rich food and should not be his steady diet.

Alexa, I heard bad things about feeding bettas peas. Most of my local breeders nearly bit my head off when I asked about it. They say bettas should never be feed vegitables as their digestive system is not designed to process it properly.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Maybe for non-betta's. I have the impression some non-betta hobbiests use that technique for thier fish. Maybe someone suggested it (not knowing bettas like we do), and it just spread.

Send me a PM if you hear any different.

Bob, how is your betta doing today?