Help! Catfish died and don't know why

Apr 4, 2009
I have a 30 gallon tank which I let cycle for a week without fish. I have a Top Fin filter system which came with my tank. I have bubbles coming out of three places and a few live plants.

Now after a week of cycling I put in two pictus catfish and two silver-tipped catfish. I purchased these four fish from my local Petsmart store. After 5 days one silver tipped died. He was not really swimming but more like just hanging in the water. Right after this, I put in two bala sharks. During this time, my other silver-tipped catfish was swimming around and very active. The next day my other silver-tipped catfish started doing the same thing and eventually died. That was the 1 of April. Today, the 4 April, my two pictus catfish died. When I took them out it looked like their skin was peeling off. I tested my water and everything was right were it is supposed to.

If anyone could help me figure out why and what happened to them would be great. I didn't think to take pictures at first, wishing I had now haha. If anyone needs more information, I will try my best to give it to you. Thank you again

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well what do you mean by the water is right where it is supposed to be, from reading your post I highly doubt your tank is cycled, you can not cycle a tank in a week unless using established media from another tank. Post your test results and what you tested with here, as well as tank temp. This will allow us to help you more. As for the skin peeling of, that just sounds like they have been dead for a day or 2.

Welcome to the tank and we will be more than happy to get you on the right path, read the beginners stickies and they will also help you along and give you a better understanding of the basics.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Sorry to be the one to inform you that your tank was not cycled in only one week.
Even fish-in cycles take longer than that.
Wish I could say otherwise. We all wish it was a quicker process. I've been cycling now for three weeks and expect at least another 3 weeks of no fish : (

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
You can? I suppose its possible with an already established tank but i'm assuming that is not the case here.
Using no established media I'm 3 weeks in , Ammonia present for one week , I'm waiting for nitrite to even show up. All of this is completely fishless and no additives.
I am tying myself to a chair to avoid adding a fish, lol.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I am going to agree with bluestraggler, there are numerous posts about fishless cycling ad the time it takes to do it and never have I seen anyone post that they cycled without established media within a week.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2009
I missed used the word cycle, my bad. I meant so say let the tank just circulate. Before I got this tank, almost everything I read said 3 days to a week should be fine. I learned my lesson there.

The two pictus weren't dead though. They would just sit there not moving until I tried to get it out and then it would dart away. Until the time it didn't. I could be wrong but it did look like the skin was peeling (like a sunburn would).

As far as tests:
Temp. - 77.5
pH - 7.5
Ammonia - 0
NO2 - 5
No3 - 40

So the last two are a bit high. It wasn't that high while the catfish were in. Didn't check it for a bit.

Would a complete water change help?
Or
Would a 25% water change do just as good?

I have a plecostomus in there just as long as the others and it's still alive and swimming.

Thank you

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I missed used the word cycle, my bad. I meant so say let the tank just circulate. Before I got this tank, almost everything I read said 3 days to a week should be fine. I learned my lesson there.

The two pictus weren't dead though. They would just sit there not moving until I tried to get it out and then it would dart away. Until the time it didn't. I could be wrong but it did look like the skin was peeling (like a sunburn would).

As far as tests:
Temp. - 77.5
pH - 7.5
Ammonia - 0
NO2 - 5
No3 - 40

So the last two are a bit high. It wasn't that high while the catfish were in. Didn't check it for a bit.

Would a complete water change help?
Or
Would a 25% water change do just as good?

I have a plecostomus in there just as long as the others and it's still alive and swimming.

Thank you
Nitrates are way high, extremely lethal, plecos are a bit more tolerant in my experience, many also have the ability to gulp air from the surface which may contribute to their tolerance. Do a major water change (75%) and get that nitrite under control, you are somewhere in the middle of the cycle, someone else can give you specifics on where you stand there. I recommend using prime as it should detoxify the remaining nitrites after your water change, not to mention it is a damn good product that many of us use with each water change to remove chlorine and chloramines.

Also research the adult sizes of those fish I dont have the time tonight but I think some may get to big for a 30g tank. The pleco (if a common pleco) needs a 55G in there future.

Ok this is out of order but you only have the pleco remaining right? I am going to create some friction with this option but oh well, a water change will slow the cycle down, if you leave it be and either leave the pleco in there and consider it expendable or take the pleco back and buy some other fish such as danios that are cheap and expendable, you could leave it alone and probably finish your cycle in a week or 2. But that is your own personal choice, I am just giving you another option.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Alright I'm going to do a 75% water change tomorrow and see where that takes me. Along with adding the prime.

Thank you for your help!!!
i would agree
that is your best option
definitely want those nitrites down to 0 ppm and i believe nitrates should be around 10-20 ppm ( veterans please correct me if im wrong )
good luck

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have a 30 gallon tank which I let cycle for a week without fish. I have a Top Fin filter system which came with my tank. I have bubbles coming out of three places and a few live plants.

Now after a week of cycling I put in two pictus catfish and two silver-tipped catfish. I purchased these four fish from my local Petsmart store. After 5 days one silver tipped died. He was not really swimming but more like just hanging in the water. Right after this, I put in two bala sharks. During this time, my other silver-tipped catfish was swimming around and very active. The next day my other silver-tipped catfish started doing the same thing and eventually died. That was the 1 of April. Today, the 4 April, my two pictus catfish died. When I took them out it looked like their skin was peeling off. I tested my water and everything was right were it is supposed to.

If anyone could help me figure out why and what happened to them would be great. I didn't think to take pictures at first, wishing I had now haha. If anyone needs more information, I will try my best to give it to you. Thank you again
Everyone provided you with pretty solid info. your tank definitely wasnt cycled and the fish were probably stressed from the move as well, which is magnified in a tank with bad water conditions (bad in this case means uncycled tank). Also no one else mentioned it so of course I have to, the pictus catfish are okay for your tank, however they would do better in a larger tank (preferably longer).

exerpt:
The tank should be fairly large as the Pictus is an active swimmer and needs plenty of open spaces. Although a 36 inch may suffice I believe the standard 48 inch, 55 gallon would be better. Generally an easy to care for fish the Pictus cat should present few problems. Preferring to be kept in schools when young, they tend to form smaller groups when mature. When kept in small groups this nocturnal fish will be seen out and around more often during the daylight hours. Feeding is not an issue as the pictus will accept all types of food, being an insect eater it is beneficial to feed live food on occasion and frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp when live is not available. The tank should be planted toward the rear and include large areas of open space for swimming as well as areas for hiding such as caves, driftwood and roots. The substrate should mimic its home and consist of fine sand or gravel. Clean, soft and slightly acidic water with strong filtration and a good current is ideal. They are great tankmates for the larger community cichlid aquarium, smaller species such as neons will be eaten. A note of caution, the spines are very sharp and can cause injury to you and the fish if mishandled. It is better not to use a net but rather some sort of plastic container (or bag, watch for leaks) when buying or moving this fish.

I also wanted to note bala sharks are not a good choice for a 30 G. They swim, are very fast, and tend to jump a lot. Plus they can reach adult sizes of 16-18 inches. A school of balas should be in nothing less than a 125G tank.

That's pretty much the only advice I can provide here, everyone else seemed to hit the other points. GL