HELP! FEmale betta!

I have a female betta who is currently in a 10 gallon tank. SHe has been looking VERY plump with eggs lately, and today she looks HUGE, and she is going up to the top and kind of floating on ther side, but then when another fish swims up there, she swims away fine....is there some thing wrong with her??? is she gonna be ok? anybody know?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
It might be dropsy - a symptom of an internal organ failure (like kidneys) that cause the fish to retain water and swell up.

Are her scales sticking out? If it is dropsy, its very hard to treat. You might try an antibiotic and see if it helps out.

Looking at your sig.. I suggest you keep your males and female bettas seperate. Males can and often do kill females.

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
Do you have any other fish in the 10 gal tank? It could also be she and the male just had a spawn, and she was paralysed after lying eggs. I have heard that someone put 1 male 2 females and the male picked one of the females to mate.

However, like Iggy says, please keep them separate until you're ready to breed them. You'll need to do a lot of preparation work before introducing the pair. (e.g. a bare bottom tank, half tank water, 80F, condition the pair etc etc) Otherwise even if they had a spawn, you won't get anything out of it.

if you do not already know, this website has a lot of info about breeding: http://www.bettatalk.com

Last edited: