HELP!! FISH STRESSED _ PH PROBLEM

Kellie

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
My ph is now up to 7.8. My fish adjusted fine during my move with their ph changing from 6.7 to 7.2, but now they are all stressed not schooling and laying in the bottom or floating near the surface. The water here is harder than my old water, so I don't know if that has something to do with it. It tests at 7.0 out of the tap. Tested all other perameters and they are fine. Tested earlier today and ph was 7.2 so I added my betta and now 12 hours later, this rise in PH. Are they related? I have never messed with my ph artificially, but my fish are not looking good. Please help!!!!:confused:

Kellie

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
I also wanted to add that I put back in the tank an piece of fake wood. It has been in the tank for a year, but out for the last 5 days. I washed it off with tap water and put it back in the tank. COuld a piece of fake wood do this to the ph? It's the kind of tank decoration that they sell at Petsmart.

THanks!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Do you know the KH and GH of the water where you are now, and where you did live?

You also said that it read 7.0 out of the tap, but have you let some water sit out in a bucket or glass overnight with an airstone and then take the readings? If not, you should do this, as this will give you a much better idea of where the tap water is going to settle once it's aged a little bit.