HELP HELP HELP!

Apr 3, 2006
UK
I have 3 Red Wag Platies and i've come down this morning to find that one of my females has got white all around the edge of one of her side fins and it looks like its had bites taken out of it!
She has got really fat and the male has been following her round all the time pestering her.
Can anyone help?
Will it be the male that has done this damage? I have put a container on the water, filled it with some tank water and a plant and i have put him in it till i can figure this out!

Thanks for any help with this guys,

Christian

Apr 3, 2006
UK
yahoofishkeeper said:
is it black at the edges? if not it probably isnt fin rot.
No its not black around the edges. Like i said my only suspect is my male platy. Have i done the right thing by separating him? :confused: I feel cruel him floating around in the container above the other fish?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is it a fuzzy white, or just white colored skin around the damage? Fuzzy white is a fungus, which they can get around an injury. White colored skin can indicate healing. What else is in the tank that might have bitten her, if it is indeed a bite?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
You need to google fin rot and take a look at some pics and see if that is what the problem is if not and it is your male that is causeing the damage then I would get another female or 2 provided that you have room in your tank. More females should spread out his "aggression". I hope that you figure this out. ;)

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
sounds like your female has been hurt by him and she has got fin rot or fungus.

To stop this get another female or 2. This will stop most agression between them in the tank.

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Would i not be better just taking him back to the store and getting another female?
I cant be bothered with him randomly attacking fish all the time.
I googled fin rot and it doesnt look like that so i can only assume its him!