HELP HELP I'M STRESSING AND SO ARE THE FISH!

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
Noticed the two guppies were both sitting on the bottom of the tank, so I did a partial water change (it was time). I also noticed it's time to change out the filter as well. After the change, the male guppy started freaking out--he lookes like he's breathing really fast, body looks like he should be swimming but he's staying pretty still. He was fluttering in front of the heater right below the filter return.

I put him in a breeding net, and he's still doing it--his head is moving side to side like the tail, but he's almost at the bottom of the net and still moving really fast! He has laid his upper and lower fins close to his body, and his tail is really close together. What do I need to do?

Is there anything I can do, or am I just having a fish panic attack. (I'm a generally anxious person who wasn't this obsessive over the tank until a platy got preggers, and now I'm freaking out over the littlest things!!!!)

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
Came into work this morning and the guppy was belly up.

The tank is almost two years old, I ususally test every couple of weeks at the fish store. I'll bring some water in today and test it. This is only the third fish I've lost since the get go.

stagger19

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
How old did you have the guppies, Guppies dont live all that long (2 years or so), so it could of been that but the laborbed breathing is a sign of Ammonia/nitrite poision

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
I've had the pair less than two weeks. They were still a bit young when I got them, but this might be okay since I'll probably go get another pair from the store, and the male:female ratio might be a little less stressful.

Everyone else in the tank seems to be doing just fine.